In 1868, the parish of Pyle contained the following places:
"PYLE, a parish in the hundred of Newcastle, county Glamorgan, 6 miles N.W. of Bridgend, its post town, and 6 from Aberafon. It is a station on the South Wales railway. The village, which is small, is situated near Margam Abbey, and is famed for its good building-stone, similar to that of Rock Abbey. The Llynvi Valley tram-road has recently been formed into a railway. The living is a vicarage with Kenvig, in the diocese of Llandaff, value £110, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. James, contains an ancient cross. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum."