Kenfig in the Parish of Pyle and Kenfig
"KENVIG, LOWER, (CEVN Y VIGYN), a joint parish with Pyle, comprising the greater portion of the borough of Kenvig, in the hundred of NEWCASTLE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 11 1/2 miles (S. S. E.) from Neath, and containing, exclusively of Pyle, 276 inhabitants. ... More" [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis]
References to the village of Kenfig at
- The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site
Transcript of Pyle, with Sker, Kenfig, Cornelly, Kenfig Hill, and neighbourhoods, from Slaters Directory for 1880.
The transcription of the section for Kenfig from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kenfig in the Parish of Pyle and Kenfig to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Kenfig in the Parish of Pyle and Kenfig has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Kenfig Origins - what's in a name
Kenfig through the ages - "In medieval times Kenfig was awarded the status of a Borough. The Kenfig Borough or Old Bro Cynffig included old Kenfig, modern Kenfig, Maudlam (Mawdlam), much of North Cornelly, Marlas, Pyle and some of Kenfig Hill..............
Glamorgan Brigade horses tethered on the lines at Kenfig Sands. - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS803812 (Lat/Lon: 51.517, -3.72651), Kenfig in the Parish of Pyle and Kenfig which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Borough of Kenfig records "Records of the Borough of Kenfig, [c. 1396]-1998, includes: charters and transcripts, [c. 1396]-1886; ordinances of the town, 1550-1800; survey, ; minutes of the various courts, suit rolls, account books, 1742-1886; admissions of burgesses, 1774-1837; and records of Kenfig Corporation Property and Kenfig Corporation Trust, 1923-1998."
- Kenfig Parish Council/Town Council records ".......... including minutes books, 1919-1985; receipts and payments book, 1981-1985"