Pyle in the Parish of Pyle and Kenfig
""PYLE, a joint parish with Kenvig, in the hundred of NEWCASTLE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 11 1/2 miles (S. S. E.) from Neath, containing, exclusively of Kenvig, 475 inhabitants. ... More" [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis]
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
- Capel-y-Pil Calvinistic Methodist
Transcript of Pyle, with Sker, Kenfig, Cornelly, Kenfig Hill, and neighbourhoods, from Slaters Directory for 1880.
The transcription of the section for Pyle from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pyle in the Parish of Pyle and Kenfig to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Pyle in the Parish of Pyle and Kenfig has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Kenfig through the ages - "In medieval times Kenfig was awarded the status of a Borough. The Kenfig Borough or Old Bro Cynffig included old Kenfig, modern Kenfig, Maudlam (Mawdlam), much of North Cornelly, Marlas, Pyle and some of Kenfig Hill ........."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS826827 (Lat/Lon: 51.530965, -3.693878), Pyle in the Parish of Pyle and Kenfig which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Winding House remains, Bryndu Colliery (near Pyle) on the Welsh Coal Mines site
The Population of Pyle was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
|1841 - 803||1851 - 991||1861 - 1,192||1871 - 883||1881 - 938||1891 - 884|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Pyle Civil Parish records "...... comprising parish council minutes books, 1894-1969; parish council/community council minutes book, 1969-1977; annual parish meeting minutes book, 1929-1973; financial statements, 1939-1950; register of mortgages, 1923; burial records, 1923-1978; copy of tithe plan, 1847, tithe apportionment, 1847; Pyle Community Council minutes books, 1977-1985; councillors declarations of acceptance of office, 1961-1983; general account receipts and payments books, 1974-1984; settlement certificate, 1766"