Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Rhossili - Gazetteers

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Rhossili - Gazetteers

Rhossili- Extract from "A Topographical Dictionary of Wales" by Samuel Lewis 1833 

"RHOSILLY, or ROSILLY (RHOS-SULWY), a parish in the hundred of SWANSEA, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 16 1/2 miles (W. S. W.) from Swansea, containing 302 inhabitants.

This parish derives its name from Reginald Sili, or Sulwy, to whom the lordship was given, in the division of the conquered territory of Glamorgan, by Fitz-Hamon. It is situated on a bay to which it gives name, in the Bristol channel, and which is enclosed on the south by Worms Head, a small promontory forming the western extremity of the county of Glamorgan, and stretching two miles into the sea, and on the north by the promontory opposite to which Holme's island is situated. The anchorage in this bay is considered very dangerous, except in fine weather, from the eddies and currents which set in here strongly at other times. The limestone rocks which line the shore exhibit some very curious caverns, in which are fine specimens of stalactite ; and the sands, which extend for three miles to the north-west of the church, are firm and smooth, affording a pleasant marine walk.

The parish comprises an extensive tract of land, of which about three-fourths are enclosed and cultivated, and the remainder consists of fine open downs, affording excellent pasturage, and other common and waste land. Several of the inhabitants are employed in quarrying limestone, of which great quantities are shipped from the bay to different parts of the principality. The surrounding scenery is agreeably diversified, and the views over the bay and the adjacent country abound with objects of interest and with features of pleasing character.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Carmarthen, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at        £ 9.6. 8., and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, situated near the shore, but is not remarkable for its architectural details. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.

The poor are supported by an average annual expenditure amounting to £40.11."

Rhossili - Lewis 1833 [Last Updated : 18 Oct 2002 - Gareth Hicks]