"ROATH, in the Cwmwd of Cibwyr, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Kibbor), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Vicarage, not in charge, of the certified value of £7.: Patron, The Marquis of Bute: Church dedicated to St. Margaret. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 236. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £264..12..2 1/2, at 8s. in the pound. It is adjacent to Caerdiff on the North East. This Parish contains about 1500 acres of Land, well cultivated.-The present worthy Vicar very obligingly adds, " The Rectorial Tythes belong to the Chapter of Gloucester. The Marquis of Bute lately rebuilt the Chancel, and put up a very elegantly ornamented Window at the East end of it. To the North of the Chancel, and adjoining to it, His Lordship has erected a new Burying-place for his Family; The late Marchioness, the late Lord Mount-Stuart, and others, are there deposited." -According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, and Augmentation, was £49." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.


The modern city of Cardiff embraces the ancient parishes of Cardiff St. John and Cardiff St. Mary - plus the adjoining parishes of Llandaff and Roath



Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.



The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. Margaret

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Roath Burial Board records   "Mortgage Register 1875"
    "Roath Burial Board appears to have been set up at some point between 1871 and 1875. It purchased land on Ty Draw Farm, Roath, Glamorgan, to provide a cemetery, but never built it. It appears to have been absorbed into Cardiff Burial Board when the boundaries of Cardiff were extended to include Roath in 1875."

Church History

Welcome to S Peters (Catholic)

Chapels Database - a list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parishes of Roath, St Mary, St John and Llandaff

St. James's Church, Newport Road, Roath, Cardiff, 1893 - on the People's Collection Wales site

From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923  (ArchiveCDBooks)  - transcribed by Gareth Hicks

  • All Saints, ADAMSDOWN, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed 28 June, 1867; the present church was built in 1902 to supersede the old church in Tyndall street. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £178, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, ..

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Margaret, is in the Benefice of Roath, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST199777.

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1724-1879, Marriages, 1724-1837, Burials, 1724-1876.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1731-1923 1732-1812, 1814-1926 1740-1876 1872-1926 1717, 1724, 1726-1727, 1731-1752, 1754-1807, 1809-1815, 1817-1837

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Roath Ecclesicatical Parish records          " ....... including registers of baptisms, 1731-1923; marriages, 1732-1926; burials, 1740-1876; banns, 1872-1926; servcies, 1883-1930; records relating to: churchwardens, 1819-1935; parochial church council, 1883-1962; church organisations, 1882-1961; civil and miscellaneous, 1862-1993"

Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-

Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Chapel Baptisms Marriages Burials OS Map Ref
Longcross Street, Zion, Baptist 1913-1967 - - ST 19487691

Description & Travel

    Roath Park, Mark's Photos site

    Roath - on Wikipedia

    Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site

    You can see pictures of Roath which are provided by:



    Transcript of name listing for Cardiff, from Commercial and Trade Directories, for the years:-

    1822-1823 (Pigot's Directory) (16k)   1858-1859 (Slater's Directory) (105k)
    1880 (Slater's Directory) (302k)      


    The transcription of the section for Roath from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

    Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis


    Historical Geography

    Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

    You can see the administrative areas in which Roath has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



    The Manor of Roath Dogfield - from Cardiff Records, Volume II, Chapter I  NOTES ON THE MANORS OF THE CARDIFF DISTRICT . (British History Online) 
    Also Splott and Roath Keynsham and Roath Tewkesbury

    Monument to Scott of the Antartic in Roath Park Lake

    Roath War Memorial - on the Roll of Honour site

     Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site

    • Damage caused by air raid at Roath, Cardiff, during the Second World War 
    • Celebrating the opening of Roath Park, Cardiff, 20 June 1894
    • Photograph of the Cardiff Institute for the Blind staff at the Cane Workshop, Longcross Street, Cardiff, 1925
    • Russell Street or 'Patriots' Avenue', Roath, Cardiff, c. 1900
    • Selling wares on Cottrell Road, Roath, Cardiff, May 1894
    • Salvation Army Barracks, Cecil Street, Roath, Cardiff, 1894
    • Albany Road, Roath, Cardiff, late 19th century
    • Roath Mill, Cardiff, by W. B. Hodkinson, 1878 (watercolour)


    This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county



     Plan of the parish of Roath in the County of Glamorgan - on the People's Collection Wales site

    Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST201775 (Lat/Lon: 51.491053, -3.15166), Roath which are provided by:


    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within Roath as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

    • Roath (138); GWR; Pengam; Pen-y-lan Convent; Reservoir; Roath Sta.; Splottlands.
      Outside parish boundary on map; Cardiff Flats; Orchard Ledges; Roath Dock




    Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

    • Tobacconist and stationery shop, Albany Road, Roath, Cardiff, 1901
    •  Davies and Son Boot and Shoe repairing depot, Wellfield Road, Roath, Cardiff, 1903


    The Population of Roath was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

    1841 - 298 1851 - 394 1861 - 3,044 1871 - 7,991 1881 - 23,096 1891 - 39,657

    Public Records

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Roath Civil Parish records          " ....... comprising copy of tithe plan and apportionment, c1841 [copied 1980]"
    • Roath Local Board of Health          " ..... comprised of: minutes, 1859-1875; letter book, 1859-1861; mortgage register, 1861-1873; and poster relating to the water supply, 1875."


    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Roath Park Secondary Modern School, Cardiff records      " ..... comprising of log books, 1951-1966"

     Roath Village School, Albany Road, Roath, Cardiff, late 19th century - on the People's Collection Wales site


    Social Life & Customs

    Roath Conservative Baseball Club, 1905 - on the People's Collection Wales site