Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for St Andrews Major

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

St Andrews Major

Primary tabs

"ANDREW'S, ST., in the Cwmwd of Is Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Dinas Powys), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Rectory, valued in the King's Books at £14..13..1 1/2: Patron, The King. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 420. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £273..19..8, at 6s. 9d. in the pound. It is 5 m. S. W. from Caerdiff. This Parish is inclosed. The name of the Village is Dinas Powys. It is situate near the Bristol Channel. The present worthy Rector, BENJAMIN HALL, D. D., most obligingly adds, "Here are the remains of an ancient Castle, called Dinas Powys Castle, formerly the property of Lord Brook, now of the Widow of the late William Hurst, Esq."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811

topup

Bibliography

Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

topup

Cemeteries

The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. Andrew

topup

Church History

Chapels Database - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for photographs of various churches/chapels in this parish

topup

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Andrew, and is in the Benefice of St. Andrews Major and Michaelston-le-Pit. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST139714.

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1696-1905, Marriages, 1696-1837, Burials, 1696-1901.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1744-1757, 1771-1931 1749-1940 1745-1756, 1772-1940 1824-1920 1696, 1724-1837

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • St Andrews Major Ecclesiastical Parish records             "........ including registers of baptisms, 1744-1931; marriages, 1749-1940; burials, 1744-1940; banns, 1824-1920; services, 1917-1930; miscellaneous records, 1980"

Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • St. Andrews Major, St. Andrew - Christenings (BT's), 1791-1873
topup

Description and Travel

    St Andrews Major - on Wikipedia

    You can see pictures of St Andrews Major which are provided by:

    topup

    Gazetteers

    The transcription of the section for St Andrews Major from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

    Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis

    Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Andrews Major to another place.

    Click here for a list of nearby places.

    topup

    Historical Geography

    Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

    • Murch
    • Southra
    • Westra

    You can see the administrative areas in which St Andrews Major has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

    topup
    topup

    Names, Geographical

    Places, villages, farms etc within St Andrews Major parishas shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

    • St Andrews Major (178); Argae; Beauville; Biglis; Cadoxton Riv.; Castle (2); Cog Moors; Cross; Crow Hill; Dinas Powis (village); Downs; Eastbrook; Golf Course; Greenyard; Murch; Old Court; Palmerstown; Pencoedtre Wood; Pop Hill; St Andrews Major (village); Southra; Westra; Wrinstone
    • Sheeping Moors (177) (Common to Cadoxton juxta Barry and St Andrews Major parishes); No place names shown
    topup

    Newspapers

    There are many references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
    Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people

    • From the Barry Dock News 23rd April 1897

    ST. ANDREWS-MAJOR PARISH COUNCIL. PROPOSED ROYAL PUBLIC HALL FOR DINAS POWIS. ANOMALY OF ANNUAL ELECTION OF THE COUNCIL. The annual meeting of the Parish Council of St. Andrew's-Major was held on Tuesday evening last at Dinas Powis National School, Mr T. Cram presiding pro tem. The members present subscribed to the customary declaration on taking their seats, those in attendance being Major- General H. H. Lee, R.E., J.P., Messrs J. Isaac, J. Howell, T. Cram, H. Wright, W. Evans, and J. Morris. On the motion of Mr Isaac, seconded by Mr Morris, General Lee was unanimously re-elected chairman of the Council, and in returning thanks said he greatly appreciated the honour again bestowed upon him. He should like to see the Council take advantage of some of the powers vested in them by the Local Government Act even if it cost a little money to do so, for the improvement of the amenities of life in the parish, and he hoped something in this direction would be done this year. (Hear, hear.) Messrs T. Cram, M. Howell, and C. A. Young were appointed overseers; and W. M. Williams was re-appointed assistant-overseer.    ...(part extract)...

    • From the  Barry Dock News 5th July 1901

    ST. ANDREWS RATEPAYERS' ASSOCIATION. PROPOSED CREATION OF DINAS POWIS AN URBAN DISTRICT. The monthly meeting of the St. Andrew's Rate- payers' Association was held at the National Schoolroom, Dinas Powis, on Thursday evening, the 27th ultimo, Mr G. W. Boucher (president) in the chair. The National Telephone Company wrote stating that they had decided to establish a call office at Dinas Powis. Major Wyndham-Quin, M.P., wrote intimating that he would comply with the request of the Association and wait upon the Postmaster-General in favour of a delivery of letters to callers and a clearance of boxes on Sunday at Dinas Powis. The Chairman introduced the subject of the desirability or otherwise of creating Dinas Powis an urban district.  ...(part extract)...

    • From The Cardiff Times 13th March 1863

    ST. ANDREWS. On Tuesday the children of the parish were liberally treated by the Rev. John Morgan, the rector of the parish, with tea and cake. The tea was prepared in the National Schoolroom, which was decorated for the occasion. The children gave hearty cheers for the Royal Pair, the Queen, and also for the worthy Rector. Miss Morgan superintended the party. At the close the National Anthem was sung by the children. The bells of the parish church rang merry peals throughout the day.

    • From the South Wales Daily News (Third Edition) 25th November 1897

    DINAS POWIS. BAZAAR.—On Wednesday a bazaar and jumble sale was opened at the National Schools, Dinas Powis by Lady Eva Wvndham-Quin in aid of St. Peter's Church, Eastbrook.. To-day Miss Lee is expected to perform the opening ceremony.

    • From the South Wales Daily News (Third Edition) 19th June 1895

    DINAS POWIS. ODDFELLOWS' DEMONSTRATION.—The members of the Dinas Powis Castle Lodge of Oddfellows' held their annual demonstration on Monday in beautiful weather. There was a good muster, and the procession, headed by the village brass band, was very imposing. Various parts of the district were visited, and subsequently the whole of those present enjoyed a splendidly-served dinner at the Cross Keys Inn. The usual toast list followed, the proceedings being very enthusiastic and enjoyable.

    • From the Weekly Mail 27th February 1892

    DINAS POWIS, THE FIRE BRIGADE.-The members of the volunteer fire brigade have commenced drill, and steps are to be taken to induce the ratepayers to provide a suitable building for the purposes of the brigade. General Lee, J.P., is prepared to present a site, and to contribute handsomely towards the cost of erection.

    topup

    Population

    The Population of St Andrews Major was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

    1841 - 497 1851 - 488 1861 - 570 1871 - 537 1881 - 576 1891 - 1,149
    topup

    Public Records

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • St Andrews Major Civil Parish records      " ........ comprising tithe plan and apportionment, 1840; overseer's rate account, 1854; highway surveyor's accounts, 1853-1879; overseer's valuation, 1866; overseer's rate collection monthly statement book, 1886-1892; assistant overseer's receipt and payment books, 1891-1927; vestry minutes book, 1862-1894; parish council minutes books, 1894-1966; parish council committee minutes books, 1910-1964; parish council chairmans agenda book, 1941-1961; records and papers relating to Dinas Powis Free Library, 1939-1987; miscellaneous records and papers, 1894-1977"