ST. BRIDES MAJOR
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of St Brides Major contained the following places:
"ST. BRIDES MAJOR, a parish in the hundred of Ogmore, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 3 miles to the S. of Bridgend, its post town. It is situated on the coast of the Bristol Channel, at the mouth of the river Ogmore, and contains the hamlets of Lampha, Southerndown, and Ynysawdre. A special interest attaches to it as one of the earliest seats of the native. princes. It has still some vestiges of the ancient castle of Dyndryfan (Dunraven), the traditional residence of Caradoc (Caractacus), and considerable remains of Ogmore Castle, a fortress of equal antiquity. The lordship of Ogmore now belongs to the duchy of Lancaster. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Llandaff, of the value with the curacy of Wick annexed, of £300, in the patronage of R. T. Turberville, Esq., of Ewenny Abbey. The church is ancient, and has some fine monuments of the Butler and Wyndham families, one to the former being an altar-tomb, with figures of a knight and his lady. The Calvinistic Methodists have a chapel in the village Along the coast are several large and curiously-formed caves, one of which, of great depth, is called the "Wind Hole."
"LAMPHA, a hamlet in the parishes of St. Brides Major and Ewenny, hundred of Ogmore, county Glamorgan, 1 mile S.E. of Bridgend. It is situated on the Ewenny, a feeder of the river Ogmore, and near the line of the old Roman road Via Julia."
"SOUTHERNDOWN, a hamlet in the parish of St. Brides Major, hundred of Ogmore, county Glamorgan, 3 miles S.W. of Bridgend. It is a small watering-place. In the vicinity are the Wind Hole, 231 feet in depth, Fairy Cave, &c."
"TUSKAR, a reef at the mouth of the river Ogmore, in the parish of St. Brides Major, county Glamorgan."
"YNYSAWDRE, a hamlet in the parish of St. Brides Major, county Glamorgan, 3 miles S. of Bridgend. It is situated at the confluence of the rivers Ewenny and Ogmore."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018