The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ST. DONAT'S, a parish in the hundred of Ogmore, in the county of Glamorgan, 6 miles S.W. of Cowbridge. It is situated on the sea-coast near the lighthouse at Nash Point. A castle was built here by the Esterlings or Stradlings shortly after the Norman Conquest, of which there are some remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff, value £131, in the patronage of T. T. Drake, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The church stands in a beautiful glen, and contains several remarkable monuments of the Stradlings, whose ancestors inhabited the castle for seven centuries. In the neighbourhood may be seen part of the ruins of Castle Marcross and a cromlech. Some fossils have been discovered, and there is a large cave in the vicinity, supposed to have been inhabited by St. Donat.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018