"GEORGE'S (ST.), a parish in the hundred of DINAS-POWIS, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (W. by N.) from Cardiff, containing 252 inhabitants.
This parish is principally distinguished for the remains of an ancient castle, which, together with the manor and lordship of St. George, was granted by the Norman Fitz-Hamon to Sir John Fleming, one of the knights who assisted him in the subjugation of this part of the principality.
The village is pleasantly situated on the southern banks of the river Ely, and in the vicinity of a wide and elevated tract of common land, commanding one of the most extensive and richly varied prospects in South Wales. Near it is Coedriglan, the seat of the Rev. John Montgomery Trahearne, a spacious and substantial mansion of red brick, situated on the declivity of a steep eminence, in the centre of an extensive pleasure ground : the surrounding scenery is strikingly beautiful, and the views from the eminence on which the house is built are extensive and finely diversified.
The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £7.5.7 1/2., and in the patronage of Llewelyn Trahearne, Esq. The church, which is not distinguished by any architectural peculiarity, contains several ancient monuments in the early style of English architecture.
A parochial day school for the gratuitous instruction of children, and a Sunday school, are supported by the rector and the family at the neighbouring mansion of Coedriglan. The Rev. Theodoret Basset, in 1576, bequeathed £ 140 for the relief of labourers and poor housekeepers not receiving parochial aid, but the greater part of this sum is now lost.
The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £91."