"HILARY, ST., in the Cwmwd of Pen y Bont, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Cowbridge) County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Vicarage valued in the King's Books at £5..14..4 1/2: Patrons, The Bishop, Archdeacon, and Chapter of Llandaff. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 145. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £107..15..4, at 1s. 9d. in the pound. It is 1 m. S. E from Cowbridge. This Parish contains about 900 acres of Land. There was formerly a Chapel at Beupre. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, and Augmentation, was £37..14..0. " From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
- Parish Church of St. Hilary
Glamorgan Chapels Database - there are no references to non-conformist chapels/meeting houses found in this parish
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The church is dedicated to St. Hilary, and is in the Benefice of Cowbridge Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference ST016733.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|1690-1984||1690-1970||1690-1985||1913-1963||1721, 1724-1752, 1754-1837|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- St Hilary Ecclesiastical Parish records "... including registers of marriages, 1754-1994; banns, 1754-1963; baptisms, 1690-1984; burials, 1813-1985; services, 1966-1982; records relating to churchwardens, 1885-1961; miscellaneous and civil records, 1856-1965"
Conservation areas within the Vale of Glamorgan. See St Hilary - "Conservation areas are areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance"
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Hilary to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Hilary has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST013729 (Lat/Lon: 51.446169, -3.422155), St Hilary which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within St Hilary parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Glenys Travis)
- St Hilary  - Castle (in ruins) AM, Coed Hills, Coed y Grabla, Cross Barn, Eastdown, Howe Mill, Kingsland, The Manor, New Beaupre, Newhouse, Old Beaupre, St Hilary Down, St Hilary.
There are many references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people
- From the Barry Dock News 9th December 1892
ST. HILARY. GRAND CONCERT.—On Wednesday evening last, a grand concert, which was largely attended, was held at Beaupre, in aid of the funds of the St. Hilary Cricket Club. The conductor was Mr Jones and the accompanist, Mr Bassett. The programme was well gone through, and the entire proceedings reflected credit upon all concerned. The following was the programme: .....(part extract).......
- From the Barry Dock News 16th December 1892
ST. HILARY. A READING ROOM was opened on Tuesday evening last by Mrs Franklin. It is furnished throughout and well supplied with the daily and weekly papers, &c., and a committee has been formed to carry on the same, and about twenty members joined on the opening evening. The contribution is 2d per week. This is a comfortable place to spend the long and dreary winter evenings, as Mrs Franklin has not only furnished the room well, but has supplied it with numerous games. St. Hilary people ought to be proud of having such a kind-hearted lady and gentleman as Mr and Mrs Franklin amongst them. .....(part extract).......
- From the Barry Dock News 16th June 1893
ST. HILARY. FRANKLIN'S WELL.—At the fortnightly meeting of the Bridgend and Cowbridge Rural Sanitary Authority, the Rev F. W. Edmondes, M.A., presiding, a sample of water taken from Franklin's Well, St. Hilary was ordered to be sent for Analysis.
- From the Barry Dock News 16th September 1892
ST. HILARY. THE TONDU EXPLOSION.—On Sunday last a collection was made at the Church, St. Hilary, in aid of the Tondu Explosion Relief Fund, which amounted to £3 13s. The sermon on the occasion was based on the text, "Bear ye one another's burdens."
- From The Cardiff Times 12th January 1866
ST. HILARY. The village bells of this unusually quiet little place sent forth their merry peals on Tuesday evening, acknowledging the arrival of Major Bassett, from India, to take possession of the beautiful little mansion and estate at Beaupre. This estate formerly belonged to the late Daniel Jones, Esq., founder of the Cardiff Infirmary, afterwards to Capt. Bassett, thence his beloved and amiable widow, deceased, and now in the possession of the present heir. May be live long and enjoy the good qualities set forth by his ancient family.
- From the Cardiff Times 2nd May 1862
ST. HILARY. CHURCH RESTORATION.—The old church at this place, which was in a very delapidated condition, has been restored at the sole cost of Mrs. Montgomery Treherne, as a memorial of her late husband, the Rev. John Montgomery Traherne. George Gilbert Scott, Esq., of London, is the architect who has superintended the restoration, and Messrs. James and Price, of Cardiff, have executed the work. This ancient building, which was erected in the decorated and perpendicular style of architecture, has been restored with faithful adherance to its original condition, and a fine Norman arch, which was hidden from the view by white-wash, &c., has been brought to view and forms a most pleasing feature in the restoration. The entire work has cost about £2,000, which has been borne by this lady who has now the satisfaction for seeing completed a worthy memorial of one who was held in great estimation while living. .....(part extract).......
The Population of St. Hilary was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
|1841 - 164||1851 - 157||1861 - 139||1871 - 166||1881 - 144||1891 - 175|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- St Hilary Civil Parish records "...... including copy of tithe plan and apportionment, 1840 [copied 1980]; overseers of the poor petty constables and church wardens, 1728-1821; minutes, charity distribution accounts, cricket club records, 1883-1973"