1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of St Marychurch contained the following places:
"ST. MARYCHURCH, a parish in the hundred of Cowbridge, county Glamorgan, 2 miles E. by S. of Cowbridge. It is situated near the river Ddaw, which at a short distance falls into the sea at Aberthaw. The land is chiefly in pasture, with a limestone subsoil. Here are remains of a castle, built by Robert de St. Quentin in the 11th century, and on the hills to the W. are traces of the great military road. The village is small, and chiefly agricultural. The Cowbridge harriers have a meet here. The living is a rectory united with that of Llandough. The church is a small ancient edifice. The charities produce about £1 10s. per annum.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018