The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ST. NICHOLAS, a parish in the hundred of Dinas-Powis, county Glamorgan, 6 miles S.W. of Cardiff, its post town, and the same distance from Cowbridge. The village is of small extent, and wholly agricultural. It has near Dyffryn House the largest cromlech in the kingdom, the upper stone measuring 24 feet by 17, forming the roof of a chamber about 14 feet in length, 15 in width, and 6 in height; and near it is a smaller one, and a third near Cotterell; also other traces of Druidical remains, proving this neighbourhood to have been one of the holy places of the Druids, as also shown by the name Duffryn Golych, or "Valley of Worship." Petty sessions are held here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff, value £245. The church is a small ancient edifice dedicated to St. Nicholas.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018