Hide

Sully

hide
Hide

"SULLY, in the Cwmwd of Is Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Dinas Powys), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Rectory valued in the King's Books at £11..9..9 1/2: Patron,Thomas Drake Tyrwhitt Drake, Esq.: Church dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 164. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £105..13..3 1/2, at 5s. in the pound. It is 6 1/2 m. S.W. from Caerdiff. This Parish contains about 900 acres of inclosed and cultivated Land, and from fifteen to twenty acres which are uncultivated. It is situate upon the Bristol Channel. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, and Glebe, was £133..9..6. There is a Ferry from hence for Cattle to the County of Somerset. The Castle and Lordship formerly belonged to one of the Norman Conquerors. " From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.

"SULLY (SULWY), a parish in the hundred of DINAS POWIS, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 6 1/2 miles (S. S. W.) from Cardiff, containing 197 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the shore of the Bristol channel, by which it is bounded on the south, and nearly opposite to a small island of the same name. It is of very limited extent, comprising only a moderate portion of arable and pasture land, which is enclosed and in good cultivation. The Scottish system of agriculture, introduced here by Mr. Thomas, of Sully House, who is regarded as one of the best agriculturists in South Wales, is generally adopted in the parish, and has succeeded well. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £ 11. 9. 9 1/2., and in the patronage of Thomas Tyrwhitt Drake, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a neat edifice, and is kept in excellent repair : adjoining it is a handsome parsonage-house, occupied by the Rev. Mr. Conybeare, the present rector, who has greatly distinguished himself by his geological researches. Mr. John Howel, in 1775, bequeathed £ 10 to the poor of this parish not receiving parochial relief. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £ 92. 12." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis)

Hide
topup

Bibliography

Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

topup

Cemeteries

The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. John the Baptist
topup

Churches

topup

Church History

Glamorgan Chapels Database - here are references to one non-conformist chapel found in this parish;-

  • English Wesleyan Methodist          Building not used exclusively as a place of  worship.      Charles Tucker, Minister (Informant)       (1851 Religious census)
topup

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and is in the Benefice of Sully. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST152683.

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1724-1901, Marriages, 1727-1836, Burials, 1725-1901.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1759-1928 1754-1836, 1838-1964 1759-1953 1823-1931 1724-1733, 1735-1746, 1748-1827, 1830-1834, 1838

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Sully Ecclesiastical Parish records       "......... including registers of baptisms, 1759-1928; marriages, 1754-1964; burials, 1759-1953; banns, 1823-1931; services, 1887-1969; churchwardens records, 1908-1933; miscellaneous and civil records, 1898-1987"
topup

Description and Travel

Sully - on Wikipedia

Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site

You can see pictures of Sully which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for Sully from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Historical Geography

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

  • Cog
  • Hayes
  • Swanbridge

You can see the administrative areas in which Sully has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Various items  - on the People's Collection Wales site

  • Photograph: Cars in Sully 1953
  • A black and white aerial picture postcard of Sully Hospital, Sully, Glamorgan. 
  • Sully TB Hospital, outside Cardiff, 1930
topup

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Sully Manor records       1754-1925          " ... formed part of the estates of the Stradling family of St Donats Castle, Glamorgan. After the death, in 1738, of Sir Thomas Stradling, the last male heir, the Stradling estates were partitioned by Act of Parliament in 1755, and Sully manor fell to the share of Sir John de la Fountain Tyrwhitt......................."
topup

Maps

This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county

 Plan of the parish of Sully in Glamorganshire - on the People's Collection Wales site

Parish map (Kain/Oliver)

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST153682 (Lat/Lon: 51.40654, -3.219552), Sully which are provided by:

topup

Names, Geographical

Places, villages, farms etc within Sully parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Sully (179); Bendrick Rock; Camp; Cog; GWR; Hayes Fm.; Hayes Point; Hospital; Old Windmill; Rectory; Sully (village); Sully Bay; Sully Brook; Sully Ho.; Sully Island;
topup

Newspapers

There are many references to this area in the 15 million Welsh and English language articles from Welsh newspapers transcribed by the NLW and viewable on Welsh Newspapers Online
Below are English language articles that have been re-transcribed and extracted randomly to illustrate what is available, there are many that are not extracted here that include names of local people

  • From the Evening Express (Special Edition) 4th December 1899

SULLY COURSING. The Sully Coursing Club has decided to hold another meeting on January 30 and 31. There will be an all-aged stakes and a members' puppy stake at £2 10s. The winner of this stake also takes the ten guinea cup presented by the Mayor of Cardiff (Mr. S. A. Brain).

  • From The Cardiff Times 24th October 1862

SULLY. THE STORM.-In addition to the fact already noticed that a French vessel was lost here, we may add that in consequence of the heavy rains the roads have been almost impassable. On Sunday night people could scarcely reach their homes from places of worship in the neighbourhood.

  • From The Cardiff Times 13th March 1863

SULLY. All the children of this place were treated with wine and cake at Sully House, by John Bland, Esq. The aged poor were also treated with a bottle of wine each by the same kind hearted gentleman.

  •  From The Cardiff Times 4th August 1894

COLLISION OFF  SULLY. On Sunday morning a collision occurred between the steamship Durham, of Hull, belonging to Messrs Bailey and Leatham, and the s.s. Cymmrodorion, owned by Mr J. H. Jones, of Cardiff. Both vessels left Cardiff by the morning tide, outward bound, and by some accidental circumstances collided when off Sully. It was found necessary for both of them to put back into the Roads for repairs, though, we understand, the damage is not very serious to either boat.

  • From The Cardiff Times 23rd June 1900

SULLY TREASURE TROVE. In the House of Commons on Tuesday Mr Maclean asked the First Lord of the Treasury with reference to the discovery at Sully, near Cardiff, of a hoard of gold rings, silver coins, etc., of the Roman period, over which the Lord of the Manor had renounced his right of treasure trove, whether the Treaty proposed to offer these articles for purchase to the British Museum, or whether it would offer them to the Cardiff Museum. which wished to acquire the whole collection • Mr Balfour The matter is under consideration. NO determination has yet been arrived at.

topup

Population

The Population of Sully was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 144 1851 - 137 1861 - 192 1871 - 151 1881 - 203 1891 - 158
topup

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Sully Civil Parish records                    " ....... comprising tithe plan and apportionment, 1847; assistant overseers rate books, 1918-1926; assistant overseers receipt and payment books, 1913-1927; parish council minutes books, 1894-1961"   
  • Sully Hospital records     ".......... including minutes and reports, 1932-1960; correspondence files, 1931-1973; printed material, c1933-1968; admission and discharge registers, 1955-1993; patient case files, 1937-1967"         
    ".......... opened in 1936 King Edward VII Welsh National Memorial Association with the purpose of treating chronic and advanced pulmonary disease. By the 1960s the hospital had developed into a centre for the treatment of chest and heart patients. In the early 1970s, lung and heart surgery was transferred to the Llandough and University Hospital of Wales (Heath, Cardiff) hospitals."