Sketty in the Parish of Swansea St. Mary
"SKETTY is a pleasant hamlet and suburb in the west division of the parliamentary county borough containing many good residences, near the shore of Swansea bay, with a station on the Swansea and Mumbles railway; it was formed into an ecclesiastic parish from that of Swansea 14 Feb. 1850. The church of St. Paul, erected by the late J. H. Vivian esq., M.P. and his son, the 1st Baron Swansea is a building of coal measure Pennant sandstone with Bath stone dressings, in the Decorated style of the 14th century, ... : the reredos, erected by the late Mrs. J. H. Vivian, of Singleton, represents “The Last Supper", there are 500 sittings, of which most are free. The register dates from the year 1851. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St, David's and the Board of Patronage, ...The English Congregational chapel, near Sketty green, was built in 1842, in place of an earlier chapel erected in 1770, and seats 250 persons. New Bethel Welsh Congregational chapel, erected in 1840, will seat 550 persons, and has an attached burial ground of 2 acres. The Wesleyan chapel, Dillwyn road, erected in 1876, will seat 250. Singleton, a mansion in the Elizabethan style, built by the late John Henry Vivian, M.P. for Swansea, was presented to the Municipality of Swansea by Lord Swansea, and is now (1923) occupied by the University College of Swansea, pending the realization of a college building scheme; the park, consisting of some three hundred acres, affords views of the bay and the Mumbles beyond and, in another direction, of the bold hills on which the picturesque ruins of Oystermouth Castle stand. Hendrefoilan is the residence of Lady Edwards. Sketty Park is the seat of Major Sir Robert Armine Morris bart. D.L., J.P.. The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Major Sir R. A. Morris bart. D.L., J.P. and Lord Swansea D.S.O., M.W.O. The soil is gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and swedes." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Sketty Church c1855
- Colour digital photographic survey of Bethel Welsh Independent Chapel, Carnglas Road, Sketty, Swansea, consisting of two images, by Stephen Hughes, 09/07/2004.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Sketty contains two Anglican churches :-
|Non Conformist Registers Held at the West Glamorgan Record Office, Swansea|
|Chapel||Baptisms||Marriages||Burials||OS Map Ref|
|Carnglas Road, Baptist||-||1952-1957||-||SS 62306230|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sketty in the Parish of Swansea St. Mary to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Sketty in the Parish of Swansea St. Mary has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS625929 (Lat/Lon: 51.618081, -3.98747), Sketty in the Parish of Swansea St. Mary which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Sketty School 1854 - on the People's Collection Wales site