St Thomas in the town of Swansea
"THOMAS-ST, a township, forming that part of the parish of SWANSEA which is in the hundred of LLANGYVELACH, in the union of SWANSEA, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, half a mile (E.) from Swansea; and containing 683 inhabitants. This place, which within the last few years has greatly increased in population and importance, is situated on the left bank, and near the mouth, of the river Tawy, across which there is a ferry to the town of Swansea, on the opposite bank, but which, during the whole of the interval from two hours before till two hours after the time of low water, is fordable. Considerable alterations have been made here, under the provisions of an act of parliament for improving the harbour of Swansea; of which the principal are, the construction of the eastern pier, extending six hundred yards across the mouth of the Tawy, and inclosing a capacious basin, which at high water has a noble appearance; and the formation of Port Tennant, the .private property of H. T. Tennant, Esq., by whom it was projected, and at whose sole expense it was completed. This latter consists of a dock capable of receiving, vessels of two hundred tons' burthen, communicating with the Swansea and Neath Junction canal, formed byy the same gentleman, which extends hence to the village of Cadoxton, about a mile above Neath, where it joins the Neath canal, thus providing a Cheap means of conveyance betwed Port Tennant and a large district abounding with coal and culm, which are brought down the canal and here shipped. The hamlet includes a portion of the Cremlyn Burrows, an extensive marsh stretching along the coast, and bounded on the south by Swansea bay. It formerly contained a chapel of ease to the mother church of St. Mary, in Swansea, but, from the encroachment of the sea on this part of the coast, the site cannot now be distinguished. The seat Tan-y-Graig is pleasantly situated within its limits; and it is included within the electoral limits of the borough of Swansea, as defined by the act of 1832, to " Amend the Representation." " [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833 © Mel Lockie 2016]
Chapels Database - a list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish
This Swansea church is dedicated to St. Thomas, is in the Benefice of Swansea St. Thomas and Kilvey, and diocese of Swansea and Brecon. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS667932.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
At the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
The transcription of the section for St Thomas from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Thomas in the town of Swansea to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St Thomas in the town of Swansea has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS667932 (Lat/Lon: 51.621788, -3.926956), St Thomas in the town of Swansea which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Swansea, St Thomas parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Rob Frayne)
- Swansea, St Thomas (23); Cwm Ysguthan, Reservoir(Unnamed)