"TYTHEGSTON, in the Cwmwd of Tir yr Hwndrwd, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Newcastle), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Curacy, not in charge, consolidated with the Vicarage of Newcastle: Patron, The King: Church dedicated to St. Tudwg. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (consisting of the Higher and Lower Divisions) was 283. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was, £107..19..8 1/4. It is 3 m. W. b. S. from Bridgend. This Parish contains about 700 acres of Land; of which, nearly 100 acres are uninclosed. On the Estate of HENRY KNIGHT, Esq., are the remains of a Cromlech." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
"TYTHEGSTON (LLAN-DUDWG), a parish, comprising the Upper and Lower divisions, each of which separately maintains its own poor, in the hundred of NEWCASTLE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 3 1/2 miles (w.) from Bridgend, and containing 404 inhabitants, of which number, 302 are in the Upper, and 102 in the Lower, division. The present name of this place is only a modification of its ancient Welsh name Llan Dudwg, signifying " Dudwg's town," and originally derived from the dedication of its church to St. Dudwg, or Tudwg, one of the disciples of Cenydd, who flourished about the middle of the sixth century. The parish is but of small extent, but contains some good arable and pasture land : the upper division abounds with iron-ore, coal, and clay for making bricks, of which considerable quantities are procured, and, by means of a rail-road communicating with the little harbour of Porthcawl, are shipped off to the neighbouring coasts. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Newcastle, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf. The church is a small ancient edifice, not distinguished by any architectural details. A school for the gratuitous instruction of poor children has been established in the Lower hamlet, and is supported by subscription. Catherine Lougher, and Thomas Leyson, in 1730, bequeathed each a small portion of land to the poor of the parish. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor of the whole parish amounts to £130. 19., of which sum, £76.2. is assessed on the Higher, and £54. 17. on the Lower, division." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833