Tongwynlais in the Parish of Whitchurch
"TONGWYNLAIS is a considerable village, mostly in the [this] parish, and partly in that of Eglwysilan, about 5 miles from Cardiff, and half-a-mile from the railway station at Walnut Tree Bridge. Castell Coch, or the Red Castle, is seated on a considerable eminence, near the village, embosomed in trees, and commanding a fine view of the Taff vale and the Bristol channel. It is now being entirely restored by the Marquis of Bute to as near as possible its former proportions. The castle, which is not very extensive, was built by the Britons to repel the Norman invaders, and was long held by Ivor Bach, who gallantly headed the natives of Glamorgan against Fizhamon and the Norman settlers. The Normans afterwards became masters of it, and considerably enlarged, if not entirely rebuilt it. There is a chapel of ease, and chapels for the Calvinists, Baptists, and Independents in the village, also a National school, Population returned with the parish." [From Slaters Directory for 1880]
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
- Ainon Baptist Chapel
Photographic survey of Salem Baptist Chapel, Tongwynlais, Whitchurch; Eglwys Newydd, Yr, consisting of 2 colour transparencies, produced by Olwen Jenkins, 14/05/2003 - on the People's Collection Wales site
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Tongwnlais with Taffs Well and Nantgarw Ecclesiastical Parish records "St. James' church, Taffs Well and St. Mary's church, Nantgarw were built as chapels of ease in the parish of Eglwysilan and transferred to Tongwynlais in 1954."
"............ including registers of baptisms, 1879-1968; marriages, 1922-1985; banns, 1926-1985; services, 1923-1980; churchwardens records, 1924-1987; parochial church council minutes, 1898-1988; church council, 1955-1976; orders of services, 1938-1985; miscellaneous records, 1950-1981"
Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-
Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site
Transcript of complete name listing for Whitchurch, with the parishes and villages of Lisvane, Llanishen, Pentyrch, Tongwynlais, Taff's Well and Walnut Tree Bridge, from Slaters Directory for 1880.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tongwynlais in the Parish of Whitchurch to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Tongwynlais in the Parish of Whitchurch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- View of Castell Coch, Tongwynlais, from the banks of the Glamorganshire Canal (late C19th)
- Walnut Tree Viaduct at Tongwynlais carried the Barry Railway branch line across the Taff Valley and on to Llanbradach in the Rhymney Valley. It was 1,500 feet long and 130 feet high.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST134823 (Lat/Lon: 51.53294, -3.249889), Tongwynlais in the Parish of Whitchurch which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)