"WICK, in the Cwmwd of Maenor Glynn Ogwr, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Ogmore), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Curacy, not in charge, consolidated with the Vicarage of St. Bride's Major, and of the certified value of £14: Chapel dedicated to St. James. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 259. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £67..18..6 1/2: the Rates being levied by the acre. It is 5 m. S.S.E. from Bridgend. This Parish contains 1000 acres of inclosed Land." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
"WICK, a parish in the hundred of OGMORE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Cowbridge, containing 349 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the coast of the Bristol channel. The living is consolidated with the vicarage of St. Bride's Major, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf. The church, dedicated to St. James, is not remarkable for any architectural details. There are places of worship for Unitarian Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists. A school for the gratuitous instruction of poor children is supported by subscription. Anthony Patch bequeathed £5, Thomas Williams a small rent-charge, and two unknown benefactors the respective sums of £14 and £ 10, for the relief of the poor. Near the church are the ruins of an extensive bnilding, covered with ivy : by some it is supposed to have been a religious house, though there is no record of any establishment of the kind ; by others it is thought to have been one of the ancient halls so frequently met with in this county, in which the lords marcher held their courts, and which were subsequently converted into schools and almshouses, and were generally known by the appellation of "church houses." The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £116. 12." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)