Pen-y-graig in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg
"PENY GRAIG is a township included in the Rhondda Urban District, and forming part of the ecclesiastical Parish of Dinas and Penygraig, formed in 1901 out of the civil parishes of Llantrisant, and Ystradyfodwg (now called Rhondda); it has a station on the Great Western railway and is 1 mile from Dinas station on the Rhondda branch of the same railway, 5 miles north West from Pontypridd and 164 miles from London. St. Mary's church, Llanfair-ar-y-Bryn, erected in 1890, is used for Welsh services, and has sittings for 300 persons. Williamstown is a conventional district, St. Illtyd's church, erected in 1890, has 310 sittings. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £66, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, ... St. Barnabas church (English), erected in 1914, is a chapel of ease to St. Mary’s, the parish church, and has 324 sittings. The Dinas Institute, built in 1893, of red brick and native stone, at a cost, including site, of £1700, was presented to the district by Miss Caroline Williams (owner of the Dinas estate), to be used as a reading room and library. A large refuse destructor was constructed in 1914 at a cost of £64,700 The collieries of the Naval Colliery Company (1897) Limited are here." [Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
An online index to the book Soariana, by John Thomas. A translation published by the Glamorgan Family History Society covering a history of Soar Chapel, Pen-y-graig. Contains preachers names and a brief history 1834 - 1901. This has been provided by Huw Daniel
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
- Capel Soar Welsh Baptist
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Barnabas
The church is dedicated to St. Barnabas, is in the Benefice of Dinas and Penygraig with Williamstown, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS998915.
|Anglican Parish Registers|
|No Registers have been deposited yet|
Llanfair-ar-y-Bryn Welsh Church
- See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph (under Penygraig, Llanfair Parish Church)
"The Anglican Church of Llanfair-ar-y-Bryn was commissioned to be built in 1889, and was originally a church that conducted its worship entirely through the medium of Welsh.
Throughout its history it served as the parish church for Dinas and Penygraig and has been a distinguished landmark on Amos Hill for a number of generations.
In recent years, the parish has had to face a number of practical difficulties, including being grouped with the neighbouring parish of Williamstown and therefore sharing the vicar, and also mounting repair costs to Llanfair and St Barnabas.The final services were held on Pentecost Sunday, with the congregation moving to St Barnabas, Dinas, and St Illtud, Williamstown.
The site of Llanfair will be used for the development of four houses." (Welcome to Pontypridd site)
Transcript of complete name listing for Treherbert and Ystrad-Rhondda, with the parish and hamlets of Ystradyfodwg, Blaen-y-cwm, Blaen-y-Rhondda, Cwmdare, Cwmpark, Llwynpia, Pen-y-graig, Penyrenglyn, Pentre, Ton-pentre-ystrad, Ton-y-pandy, Treorky, Tynewydd and Tynybedw, from Slaters Directory for 1880.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Pen-y-graig in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Pen-y-graig in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS996915 (Lat/Lon: 51.613345, -3.451409), Pen-y-graig in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
WWII War Memorial, Pen-y-graig. Contributed by Selwyn Davies
EXPLOSION AT NAVAL STEAM COLLIERY, PENYGRAIG --- Sunday, 27th January 1884. Here is a set of reports compiled by Brian Comley
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Shop selling dairy produce in Pen-y-graig 1914
- Naval Colliery, Pen-y-graig, being dismantled, 1960s
- Black and white film negative of a photograph showing four men in a cage after arriving back on the surface, Pandy Pit, Penygraig.
Local pits on the Welsh Coal Mines site