Ynyshir in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg
"YNYSHIR is a township forming part of the Rhondda Urban District, on the river Rhondda-fach, with a station on the Rhondda-fach branch of the Great Western railway, 180 miles north-west from London, 14 north from Cardiff, 38 east from Swansea, and 4.from Pontypridd, in Pontypridd union and Porth county court district and petty sessional division, Gas is supplied by the Rhondda Urban District Council and water by the Pontypridd Water Co. In 1888 Ynyshir was formed into an ecclesiastical parish out of Llanwonno and Ystradyfodwg, now called Rhondda, and is in the rural deanery of Rhondda, and archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaff. The church of St. Ann is a building of stone, ... ...: a brass eagle lectern was presented in 1908 by Sir William James Thomas bart. D.L., J.P. and his sisters in memory of their father, and the same donors gave a carved oak pulpit in memory of Mrs. Thomas : there is also a carved oak reredos : the church affords 550, sittings. The register dates from the year 1888. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £320, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, ...There are English Congregational and English and Welsh Wesleyan Methodist chapels, an English Baptist chapel, erected in 1885, seating 350 persons, a Welsh Baptist chapel, erected in 1884, with 8oo sittings, a Welsh Congregational chapel, erected 1885, seating 800 persons, and a Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel, erected 1910, at a cost of £5,000 with sittings for 800 persons. Ynyshir Standard Colliery Workmen's Hall and Institute, opened Nov. 1905, built at a cost of £8,000, comprises a hall to hold 1,500 persons, library, reading, committee and recreation rooms and two billiard tables. Coal mining is the principal industry. Col. John Picton Turbervill D.L., J.P. and C. E. Whitting esq. V.D. are the principal landowners. The soil is loam; subsoil, rock. The land is in pasture. The population in 1901 was 5,730, and 1911, 1,141." [Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
Moriah Chapel, Ynyshir - on the People's Collection Wales site
The church is dedicated to St. Anne, is in the Benefice of Tylorstown with Ynyshir, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST025929.
|Anglican Parish Registers|
|No Registers have been deposited yet|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Ynyshir Ecclesiastical parish records ".......... including registers of baptisms, 1888-1940; marriages, 1888-1990; banns, 1927-1979; services, 1935-1977"
|Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|Chapel||Baptisms||Marriages||Burials||OS Map Ref|
|Ainon, Baptist||-||1916-1969, 1971-1987||-||ST 02449280|
Historic Landscape Characterisation: The Rhondda - on the CADW site.
Fully explore the site - there are separate detailed sections for places in the area
Ynyshir - on Wikipedia
Ynyshir - on the Rhondda Cynon Taf Libraries Heritage Trail site
Various landscapes - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ynyshir in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ynyshir in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST024927 (Lat/Lon: 51.624625, -3.411318), Ynyshir in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Mrs. Louise Palmer, Ynyshir, Rhondda, wringing clothes, 1940s. - on the People's Collection Wales site