Ystrad in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg
"YSTRAD-RHONDDA, is a township forming part of the Urban District of Rhondda, 8 miles north-west from Pontypridd, with a station on the Rhondda branch of the Great Western railway. St. Stephen's church was erected in 1896 at a cost of £3600, ... There is also a church mission room used as a Sunday school as well as for mission services. Ystrad Library, built in 1895, at a cost of £3000 is a structure of brick with stone dressings, and comprises a library, reading room, billiard room, committee room, and a room for ladies. Hirwaun Common, about 6 miles from here, was the scene, in 1090, of an encounter between Rhys ab Tewdwr Mawr and the Normans; the former being defeated, fled with his followers to a spot now known as Penrhys (the head of Rhys), where he was overtaken and slain with many of his men; this spot was afterwards the site of a monastery (probably Franciscan), founded by Richard de Clare, 2nd Earl of Gloucester, and dedicated to St. Mary; on account of its complicity with Owen Glendower the monastery was destroyed by Henry W. but some portions of the walls still remain; an ode exists respecting an Eistedfodd held here under, the patronage of Owen Glendower, in honour of the Virgin Mary; St. Mary's well here is supposed to posses medicinal qualities, and at one time was a great resort for pilgrims." [Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
- Nebo Chapel
The church is dedicated to St. Stephen, is in the Benefice of Ystrad Rhondda with Ynyscynon, and diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS989950.
|Anglican Parish Registers|
|No Registers have been deposited yet|
|Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|Chapel||Baptisms||Marriages||Burials||OS Map Ref|
|Bodringallt, Congregational||-||1900-1951, 1953-1984||-||SS 98609504|
Transcript of complete name listing for Treherbert and Ystrad-Rhondda, with the parish and hamlets of Ystradyfodwg, Blaen-y-cwm, Blaen-y-Rhondda, Cwmdare, Cwmpark, Llwynpia, Pen-y-graig, Penyrenglyn, Pentre, Ton-pentre-ystrad, Ton-y-pandy, Treorky, Tynewydd and Tynybedw, from Slaters Directory for 1880.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ystrad in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ystrad in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS989950 (Lat/Lon: 51.644679, -3.462527), Ystrad in the Parish of Ystradyfodwg which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Gelli Colliery, Ystrad on the Welsh Coal Mines site