"GWYDDELWERN, a parish in the hundred of Edernion, county Merioneth, 2 miles N. of Corwen. The parish, which is of large extent, is situated on a branch of the river Alwen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £138, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Bruno. The charities produce about £30 per annum, including the endowment of Roberts's school." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
An Elizabethan broadside in the Welsh language, being a brief granted in 1591 to Sion Salisburi of Gwyddelwern, Merionethshire . [Oxford] : [Richard Ellis], 1904. 4p
Survey of several estates in the parishes of Gwyddelwern, Llangar and Llanfor in the county of Merioneth also tenement in the parish of Llanfihangel in the county of Denbigh: Adjoining landowners named on plans. Colour denotes land use.Terrier details acreages, field names, and tenants.By an unidentified surveyor; the same as Vol. 76 (Pale Estate). 1801
- The 1851 Census of Gwyddelwern as enumerated - transcription provided by John and Doreen Jones includes sections for Gwyddelwern/Llangar; Bodheulog; Brosaethydd; Cynwyd Fechan & Cynwyd Fawr
- The 1871 Census of Gwyddelwern as enumerated - transcription provided by John and Doreen Jones; includes sections for Gwyddelwern Uwchfynydd; Pensaethydd Cynwyd; Bodheulog Cynwyd; Cynwyd Fechan & Cynwyd Fawr
- The 1891 Census of Gwyddelwern as enumerated - transcription provided by John and Doreen Jones
|Carmel Chapel, Cynwyd|
|Bethel Chapel, Cynwyd|
|Gwyddelwern Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel;Moriah, Gwyddelwern|
|Methodist Wesleyan Chapel, Gwyddelwern|
|Peniel Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Cynwyd|
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish statistics; Area 9127 acres; Population 849 males, 811 females, total 1660
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Cynwyd, Bethania, Particular Baptists
This church was in Merioneth until 1974, Clwyd until 1996 and now in Denbighshire.
Clwyd FHS site - photograph of St Beuno Church, Gwyddelwern
Denbighshire Churches Survey site - Church of St Bueno, Gwyddelwern
Early British Kingdoms site - St Beuno Gasulsych (died AD 640)
Gwyddelwern - on Wikipedia (Shown as in Llangar parish although Kain/Oliver shows it is in a detached part of Gwyddelwern parish)
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Cynwyd section (in Welsh) has been extracted - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Feb 2011)
Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Church, Gwyddelwern
- Carvings in the cemetery of Gwyddelwern Church, Denbighshire.
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Merioneth Record Office.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gwyddelwern to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Gwyddelwern has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Joseph Lloyd & Co, collection of deeds "Records, 1302-1938, accumulated by Joseph Lloyd and Co., [solicitors] comprising deeds and other papers relating to the Maesgamedd estate, Gwyddelwern 1739-1920......"
Gift of lands, Gwyddelwern, Merionethshire, dated 1176 - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ072441 (Lat/Lon: 52.986429, -3.38439), Gwyddelwern which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Gwyddelwern Vestry Book 1781 - 1879 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales
" ...... containing memoranda, disbursements to the poor, overseers' oaths and orders, settlements, lists of overseers, etc"