"LLANDANWG, a parish in the hundred of Ardudwy, county Merioneth, 2 miles S. of Harlech, its post town, and 13 N.W. of Dolgelly. It is situated on the western coast, close to the mouth of the small river Artro. The parish, which is hilly, includes the township of Harlech. The soil generally is barren and wild. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacy of Llanbedr, £194, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Tanwg, stands close to the shore, but is now in a very ruinous state. There is a school, founded by one Ellis, with an endowment of £13 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Haines, Gwen. The old church : [Llandanwg]. Country Quest 26/5 (1985), p. 37
Wynne, Ellis. Dauganmlwyddiant Ellis Wynne : llawlyfr y dathliad yn eglwysi Llanfair a Llandanwg, ac yng ngholeg Harlech, Gorffennaf 17, 1934. Aberystwyth : Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru a phwyllgor yr Wyl Goffa, 1934. 26p
- The 1851 Census of Llandanwg in Address Order provided by Joyce Hinde.
|Ainon Chapel, Harlech|
|Bethel Chapel, Harlech|
|Rehoboth Baptist Chapel, Harlech|
|Tabernacl Welsh Baptist Chapel, Harlech|
|Jerusalem Welsh Independent Chapel, Harlech|
|Llechwedd Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist), Llechwedd|
|Llechwedd Du Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist), Llechwedd|
|Moreia Chapel (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist), Harlech|
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish statistics; Area 4964 acres; Population 346 males, 403 females, total 749
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of
- Old St Tanwg Church
- Harlech Capel Rehoboth - Baptist
St Tanwg’s Church, Llandanwg - on the People's Collection Wales site
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Merioneth Record Office.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llandanwg to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llandanwg has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Harlech Railway Station papers 1916-1968 - details of extant records on Archives Network Wales "Harlech station, was on the Aberystwyth and Welsh Coast Railway, situated between Llandanwg and Tygwyn. Construction began on the railway from 1861, ..............."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH588312 (Lat/Lon: 52.86, -4.099017), Llandanwg which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)