"LLANDDWYWE, a parish in the hundred of Ardudwy, county Merioneth, 5 miles N.W. of Barmouth, its post town, 9 from Dolgelly, and 6 from Harlech. It is situated on the coast of Cardigan Bay, and includes the hamlets of Is-craig and Uwch-craig. In this parish is the wild and rough pass of Ardudwy. It is watered by the small river Ysgethin, which communicates with the lake of Llyn Irddin, on the W. slopes of Llawlech. The village is a small place with several modern houses. Near Llyn Irddin are traces of two ancient encampments. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Llanenddwyn, in the diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Dwywan, is an old structure, and has adjoining it a mortuary chapel containing monuments of the Vaughan and Mostyn families." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanddwywe Parish, consisting of the Townships of Is-Graig and Uwch-Graig; statistics; Area 9348 acres; Population 202 males, 186 females, total 388
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Ganllwyd, Llanddwywe section (in Welsh) has been extracted - with translation by Maureen Saycell (July 2011)
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Merioneth Record Office.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanddwywe to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanddwywe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- The Caegoronwy/Bennar Fawr Collection 1581-1924 "The cradle of the Williams family's estate was Caegoronwy in the parish of Llanaber. In the late 18th and 19th century the family acquired other properties including, by 1804, Bennar Fawr in the parish of Llanddwywe...."
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH649244 (Lat/Lon: 52.800612, -4.004688), Llanddwywe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)