Llanegryn - Gazetteers
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"LLWYN, a village in the parish of Llanegryn, county Merioneth, 3 miles N. of Towyn; also a seat of the same name near Dolgelly."
"PENIARTH, a township in the parish of Llanegryn, county Merioneth, 4 miles N.E. of Towyn. It is situated on the river Disynwy, and includes the hamlet of Llwyn."
"RHYDYRHIW, a township in the parish of Llanegryn, county Merioneth, 3 miles N. of Towyn. It is situated at a ford on the river Dysynni."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales Samuel Lewis, 1833>LLANEGRIN (LLAN-EGRYN), a parish in the hundred of TALYBONT, county of MERIONETH, NORTH WALES, 5 miles (N.) from Towyn, containing 764 inhabitants. It is about five miles in length and two in breadth, and comprises about ten thousand acres, part of which is mountainous land, while some is so low as to be subject to occasional inundation. The beautiful little river Dyssynny, which has its source at the foot of the lofty Cader Idris, meanders through it, and, on the southern side of the parish, pours its waters into the spacious bay of Cardigan. The village is pleasantly situated near the northern bank of the Dyssynny, which is navigable for vessels of ten or twelve tons' burden from the sea to beyond Peniarth Weir, near which stands the ancient mansion of Peniarth, the property of William Wynne, Esq. The higher grounds command extensive and varied prospects, embracing a fine view of the vale of Cardigan bay, and of the lofty hills on this part of the coast. About three-fifths of the land are unenclosed and uncultivated : in this portion, considerable quantities of peat are dug for fuel : the remainder is comparatively fertile and in a good state of cultivation : the prevailing soil is a strong clay. Slate abounds in the parish, and is quarried to supply the immediate neighbour-hood ; but the quality is not sufficiently good to make it an object of general demand, nor is any of it exported. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor, endowed with £400 royal bounty, which has been invested in the purchase of a tenement in Montgomeryshire, and £1000 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Mr. Titley, who pays the curate an additional annual stipend of £ 10. The church, dedicated to St. Egryn, and situated about a mile from the village, on an eminence commanding a fine and extensive prospect, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture : the chancel is separated from the nave by an elaborately carved screen and rood-loft, which are said to have been brought hither from Cymmer abbey, near Dolgelley. Among the sepulchral monuments in the church are several to the memory of different members of the family of Owen of Peniarth. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The free school was founded in 1650, by Hugh Owen, Esq., of Talybont, who bequeathed £400 for its foundation and endowment : the latter was augmented by Griffith Owen, Esq., who, in 1668, bequeathed £400 to be invested in the purchase of land, of which the produce was to be appropriated to the salary of a writing-master, the catechising of poor children of the parish, and the apprenticing of scholars from the school. The last bequest was laid out in the purchase of the tenements of Bryn Nant Ceiriog and Nant y Pool : the whole income arising from the endowment is about £ 80 per annum : seventy children are gratuitously instructed, and as many as the funds will allow are apprenticed, according to the will of the testators. Talybont, in this parish, is supposed to have been anciently a mansion of the princes of North Wales, and the residence of Llewelyn, who dated one of his charters from this place : on the farm belonging to this estate is a large artificial mound, on which a watch-tower is said to have formerly stood ; and on the opposite bank of the river, in the parish of Towyn, is a similar station. On the Peniarth Mill farm, at the foot of a hill called Cwm ych, is a chalybeate spring; and there is also a spring called Vron Well, the water of which is in high repute for its efficacy in the cure of rheumatic complaint. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £496. 4.
PENIARTH>PENIARTH, a township in the parish of LLANEGRIN, hundred of TALYBONT, county of MERIONETH, NORTH WALES, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Towyn, containing 289 inhabitants. It occupies the north-eastern portion of the parish : its name signifies " the head of a lofty ascent," and is derived from its surface being elevated, rugged, and mountainous, forming a part of the Cader Idris chain. On the south-east it is bounded by the river Dysynny, on which is a weir to convey its waters to a mill, and up to this point it is navigable for small craft. Here is a chalybeate spring.
RHYDERIN>RHYDERIN (RHYD -YR-HIN), a township in the parish of LLANEGRIN, hundred of TAL Y BONT, county of MERIONETH, NORTH WALES, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Towyn, containing 475 inhabitants. The name is derived from a dangerous ford by which the Dysynni was crossed at this place. This hamlet comprises the western portion of the parish, having the sea on the west, and the river Dysynni on the east and south, so as to form a peninsula. It contains the church, which is seated on the declivity of a lofty mountain near the Dysynni : several respectable residences, some of which command extensive views of the ocean, are scattered over it. A remarkable sand bank, studded with rocks, called Sarn y Bwch, stretches from the shore into the great bay of Cardigan, at the mouth of the river Dysynni.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)