Llanfihangel y Pennant - Gazetteers
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CEDRIS, a township in the parishes of Llanfihangel-y-Pennant and Talyllyn, in the county of Merioneth, North Wales, 6 miles S.W. of Dolgelly."
"LLANLLWYDAN, a township in the parish of Llanfihangel-y-Pennant, county Merioneth, 7 miles S.W. of Dolgelly."
"MAESTREFNANT, a township in the parish of Llanfihangel-y-Pennant, county Merioneth, 7 miles N.E. of Towyn."
"UWCH-Y-GARREG, a township in the parish of Llanfihangel-y-Pennant, county Merioneth, 5 miles N.W. of Machynlleth."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales Samuel Lewis, 1833>LLANVIHANGEL Y PENNANT (LLAN-VIHANGEL-Y-PEN-NANT), a parish in the hundred of ESTIMANER, county of MERIONETH, NORTH WALES, 8 miles (S. W.) from Dolgelley, containing 394 inhabitants. This parish is about four miles in length and three in breadth, and contains a variety of soils : nearly one-half of it, situated in the vale, is fertile and in a state of good cultivation, a considerable portion producing excellent corn ; whilst the mountainous parts, which form a portion of the great Cader Idris chain, afford only pasturage for sheep. The village, which is small, is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Dysyni, which falls into the sea at Aber Dysyni. Near the margin of the river, and occupying the summit of a rocky eminence, are the remains of the castle of Teberri, a strong fortress, supposed to have been erected either by Grufydd ab Cynan, Prince of North Wales, or by Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester, into whose hands that prince was betrayed by Meirion Goch, to whom its defence had been committed. According to Mr. Pennant it is supposed also to have been the castle of Bere, the strong hold of the last Llewelyn, which, not long before the final reduction of Wales, was taken by William de Valence, Earl of Pembroke, and probably the same which was committed by Edward I. to the custody of Robert Fitz-Walter, to whom he granted the privilege of hunting all kinds of wild beasts in the principality. A part of this fortress was excavated in the rock, and the walls were constructed of masonry, cemented by mortar composed of shells and gravel. Near this is Caerberllan Hall, the seat of Edward Pugh Owen, Esq. Turf and peat are found in the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There is a place of worship for Independents. Mr. David Evan, in 1724, bequeathed £ 10, the interest of which is annually distributed among the poor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £288. 18.
(Copied using the Cd published by Archive CD Books)