Miscellaneous - Gazetteer entries
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"ARDUDWY HUNDRED, one of the five hundreds of the county of Merioneth, North Wales, is bounded on the N. by Carnarvonshire, on the E. by the hundreds of Edermion and Penllyn, on the S. By the hundreds of Tal-y-bont and Moddwy, and on the W. by the bay of Cardigan. It contains Harleigh, and the parishes of Festiniog, Llanaber, Llanbedr with Llandanwg, Llanddwywe, Llandecwyn, Llanelltyd, Llanenddwyn, Llanfair, Llanfihangel-y-Traethan, Llanfrothen, Maentwrog, Trawsfynydd, and part of Beddgelert."
"CADER IDRIS, one of the principal mountains in Wales, situated in the county of Merioneth, to the S. of Dolgelly, from which the summit is distant about 5 miles. The ridge, which is about 10 miles long from N.E. to S.W., consists chiefly of basalt, with traprock, felspar, &c. It is of a very rugged and precipitous character. The summit is bare of vegetation and divides into three peaks, the loftiest of which is called Peny-Cader, and has an elevation of about 2,900 feet above the level of the sea. The others are called Mynydd Moel, or the "bald mountain," and Craig-y-Cae. On the S. side of the mountain, in a lovely spot, is a small lake called Tal-y-Llyn, and on the same side, halfway up, is another lake or tarn, called Llyn-y-Cae, shadowed by steep and lofty rocks.
The northern base of the mountain touches the sea and the beautiful estuary of Barmouth. The view from the summit is of great extent, and in some respects rivals that from Snowdon. In clear weather it embraces the whole coast of Cardigan Bay to the S.; and Bala Lake to the N.E.; the Snowdon mountains to the N., and Plinlimmon to the S. The beautiful Vale of Dolgelly immediately below, and the estuary of Barmouth, forming a charming relief and setoff to the wild grandeur of the environing mountains. One of the finest views of the Cader Idris is had in approaching it from Machynlleth, along a fine wooded valley, watered by a branch of the river Dovey. The name of this mountain signifies "Chair of Idris: "Idris being a fabulous personage, variously represented as a giant, poet, or prince."
See also Journey to the past - Cader Idris
"CYNFELL, a river of Merionethshire, in North Wales, famous for its salmon and trout fishing. It is crossed by a bridge, and after passing over two falls, joins the Dwyrhyd, near Festiniog."
"DESYNNY, (or Disynwy), a river in the county of Merioneth. It falls into the Irish Sea near Towyn."
"DOVY, (or Dyfi), a river which rises under Arran Fowddy, in the county of Merioneth, and, after flowing through Montgomeryshire, falls into Cardigan Bay at Aberdovey."
"EDERNION, a hundred in the N.E. of Merionethshire, North Wales, contains the parishes of Bettws-Gwerfyl-Goch, Bottegir-bach, Corwen, Gwyddelwern, Llandrillo, Llangar, Llamntffraid-Glyn-Dyfrdwy, and part of Llanfihangel-Glyn-y-Myfyr."
"ESTIMANER HUNDRED, one of the subdivisions of Merionethshire, situated in the S.W. of the county. It contains the parishes of Llanfihangel-y-Pennant, Pennal, Talyllyn, and Towyn."
"MAWDDACH, (or Maw), a river rising under Carn Twrog, county Merioneth, and falling into the sea at Aber-Maw, or Barmouth. It flows through a valley for above 20 miles, and in its course forms the cascades of Rhaiadr Du and Pistyll-y-Cain, the latter a fall of 150 feet."
"PENLLYN, a hundred in the county of Merioneth, contains the parishes of Llandderfel, Llanfawr, Llangower, Llannwychyllyn, and Llanykil. It gives name, with Edernion, to a deanery in the archdeaconry of Montgomery, and diocese of St. Asaph."
"PISTILL-Y-CAYNE and PISTILL-Y-MAWD-DACH, falls of the river Mawddach, county Merioneth, about 5 miles N. of Dolgelly."
"TALYBONT AND MOWDDWY, a hundred in the county of Merioneth, contains the parishes of Dolgelly, Llanegryn, Llanfachreth, Llangelynin, Llanymowddwy, and part of Mallwyd."
"TREWERYN, a stream of county Merioneth, rises near lake Treweryn-Bwlch-y-Buarth, and falls into Loch Bala."
"TRUSTION, a stream of county Merioneth, joins the Dee below Cynwyd, after forming a cascade of 60 feet." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]