ABERYSTRUTH, Monmouthshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ABERYSTRUTH, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Abergavenny, in the county of Monmouth, 8 miles S.W. of Abergavenny. Tredegar is the post-town. Of the population, above 4,000 are employed in the Beaufort coal and iron works, and nearly 3,000 in those of Sirhowy and Ebbw Vale. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £265, in the diocese of Llandaff. The patron is the Earl of Abergavenny.
The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Besides the parish church, there are two district churches, one at Beaufort, which is a perpetual curacy, value £130, and another at Nantyglo, also a perpetual curacy, value £150, both in the patronage of the crown and bishop alternately. This parish is sometimes named Blaen Gwent, or "corner of Gwentland"."
"BLAINA, a village in the parish of Aberystruth, county Monmouth, Wales, 9 miles W.S.W. of Abergavenny, and 18 miles from Newport, by the Western Valleys railway, which has a station at Nant-y-Glo, about 12 miles from Blaina. The village is situated near Nant-y-Glo, in a very picturesque spot between two very high and steep ranges of hills, which separate the Ebwy Valley from that of the Afon.
The whole of the population are engaged in the extensive ironworks of Messrs. Levick and Simpson. More attention has been paid at Blaina than at most works to the education of the inhabitants, and a beautiful church, in the Norman style, was erected in 1845 in place of the old parish church, which was almost destroyed by fire in the preceding year."
"NANT-Y-GLO, a village in the parish of Aberystruth, hundred of Abergavenny, county Monmouth, 6 miles W. by S. of Abergavenny. It is situated in a rugged country under the Sugarloaf Hill, which rises to the height of 1,862 feet, and near the confluence of the rivers Gavenny and Usk. The village is considerable, and most of the inhabitants are engaged in the extensive coal and iron works belonging to the Blaen-Avon Mining Company. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Llandaff, value £150, in the patronage of the crown and bishop alternately. The church is a modern edifice. There are places of worship belonging to the Calvinistic Methodists."
"TREVIL, a hamlet in the parish of Aberystruth, county Monmouth, 1½ mile from Tredegar, and 11 miles N.W. of Pont-y-pool. It is a station on the Tredegar and Abergavenny branch of the London and North-Western railway. It is situated near the source of the river Ebw-y-fawr."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]