"BEDWAS, a parish chiefly in the lower division of the hundred of Wentllooge, in the county of Monmouth, and partly in the hundred of Caerphilly, in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales, 2 miles to the N. of Caerphilly. It is situated on the banks of the river Rumney, and contains the hamlets of Upper and Lower Bedwas (in Monmouthshire), and Van (in Glamorganshire). The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff, value, with the curacy of Ruddry annexed to it, £450, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Barrog." [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
See also hamlet of Maesycwmmer
|St Barrwg, Bedwas (Church in Wales)|
|Bethel Chapel, Bedwas (English Baptist)|
|Hephzibah Chapel, Bedwas (Welsh Baptist)|
|Tabernacle Chapel, Trethomas (Baptist)|
|Peniel Chapel, Trethomas (Welsh Independent)|
|Saron Chapel, Bedwas (Congregational)|
|Chapel, Bedwas (Wesleyan Methodist)|
|Chapel, Trethomas (Primitive Methodist)|
|Salem Chapel, Trethomas (Welsh Calvinistic Methodist)|
|Trinity Chapel, Trethomas (Presbyterian & Calvinistic Methodist)|
|Church, Tretomas (Roman Catholic)|
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches built after 1851.
Bedwas parish consisting of the hamlets of Lower Bedwas & Upper Bedwas. Also Van hamlet (no entries) which is included in the Return under Cardiff district.
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Bedwas, St Barrog's Church - records with the Gwent RO Baptisms Marriages Banns Burials 1635-1767, 1769-1936 1653-1811, 1813-1971 1930-54, 1956-61 1653-1753, 1769-1942 Bishops Transcripts 1717, 1725-64, 1766-75, 1777-1811, 1813-88 - records with the NLW
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bedwas to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bedwas has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
WWI & II Roll of Honour - Bedwas & Trethomas (photograph only)
- Family Search have an interactive map called "England and Wales Jurisdictions 1851" showing parish (and other) boundaries with optional background maps such as Ordnance Survey. There is also a Search facility, do read the guidance notes to get maximum benefit from this useful resource. See here for further background information to assist in the interpretation of this data
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
- Plan of the parish of Bedwas in the county of Monmouth - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST169902 (Lat/Lon: 51.604509, -3.20127), Bedwas which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Bedwas War Memorial - on the People's Collection Wales site
Records of Bedwas and Machen Urban District Council, 1912-1974. .See Archives Hub
Records relating to Bedwas School Board, 1884-1904.See Archives Hub
- Various items - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Bedwas Orchestra.
- Bedwas Utd. Orchestral Society 1926
- St John's Ambulance, Bedwas Division
- Gang Show, Bedwas Hall, 1982.