Betws Newydd / Bettwsnewydd
"BETTWYS-NEWYDD, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Ragland, in the county of Monmouth, 5 miles to the N.W. of Usk, its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy attached to the vicarage of Llanarth, in the diocese of Llandaff. The parochial charities amount to £5 per annum. Bettws Lodge is the chief residence." [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches built after 1851.
Bettws-Newydd parish ; Statistics; Area 1122 acres, population 71 males, 70 females, total 141
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Betws Newydd / Bettwsnewydd, St Aeddan's Church - records with the NLW Baptisms Marriages Burials 1734-1974 1734-73, 1796-1836 1734-1973 Bishops Transcripts 1696, 1726, 1728-1821, 1823-4, 1826, 1832-76 - records with the NLW
(see also Llan-arth)
Bettws Newydd - on wikipedia
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Betws Newydd / Bettwsnewydd to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Betws Newydd / Bettwsnewydd has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Family Search have an interactive map called "England and Wales Jurisdictions 1851" showing parish (and other) boundaries with optional background maps such as Ordnance Survey. There is also a Search facility, do read the guidance notes to get maximum benefit from this useful resource. See here for further background information to assist in the interpretation of this data
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
- Plan of the parish of Bettws Newydd in the County of Monmouth - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO366067 (Lat/Lon: 51.755328, -2.91936), Betws Newydd / Bettwsnewydd which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)