"CHAPEL HILL, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Ragland, in the county of Monmouth, 4 miles N. of Chepstow, its post and railway town. It is situated on the river Wye. In the vicinity is the celebrated Tintern Abbey, which was founded by Walter de Clare in 1141. The inhabitants are chiefly iron-workers and agriculturists. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Llandaff, value £60, in the patronage of the Duke of Beaufort. The charities produce about £63 per annum." [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
- See under Tintern Parva parish for a Tintern Abbey bibliogarphy (which is within Chapel Hill parish )
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches built after 1851.
Chapel Hill Parish; Statistics; Area 820 acres; Population 265 males, 280 females, total 545
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Chapel Hill (Abaty Tyndyrn / Tintern Abbey), St Mary's Church - records with the Gwent RO Baptisms Marriages Burials 1695-1957 1695-1970 1695-1812 Bishops Transcripts 1725-1828, 1830-69 - records with the NLW
- Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire 1901 - Chapel Hill, popularly known as Tintern, inc Tintern Abbey
- The transcription of the section for Chapel Hill from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chapel Hill to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Chapel Hill has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Family Search have an interactive map called "England and Wales Jurisdictions 1851" showing parish (and other) boundaries with optional background maps such as Ordnance Survey. There is also a Search facility, do read the guidance notes to get maximum benefit from this useful resource. See here for further background information to assist in the interpretation of this data
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST523988 (Lat/Lon: 51.685991, -2.691393), Chapel Hill which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)