Llanllywel / Llanllowell (Llanthowell)
"LLANLLOWELL, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Usk, county Monmouth, 2 miles S.E. of Usk, its post town, and 12 from Chepstow. It is situated on the eastern bank of the river Usk. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff, value £130. The church is a small primitive edifice." [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Llanllowell Parish; Statistics; Area 796 acres; Population 44 males, 48 females, total 92
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Llanllywel / Llanllowell (Llanthowell), St Llywel's Church - records with the NLW Baptisms & Burials Marriages 1664-1811 1664-1775, 1815-35, 1839-1968 Bishops Transcripts 1696, 1725-33, 1735, 1737-8, 1740-1, 1743-1829, 1832-67, 1874 - records with the NLW
- Llanllowell - on wikipedia
- The transcription of the section for Llanllywel / Llanllowell from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanllywel / Llanllowell (Llanthowell) to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Llanllywel / Llanllowell (Llanthowell) has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Family Search have an interactive map called "England and Wales Jurisdictions 1851" showing parish (and other) boundaries with optional background maps such as Ordnance Survey. There is also a Search facility, do read the guidance notes to get maximum benefit from this useful resource. See here for further background information to assist in the interpretation of this data
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
- Plan of the parish of Llanllowell in the County of Monmouth - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST396989 (Lat/Lon: 51.685886, -2.875671), Llanllywel / Llanllowell (Llanthowell) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)