Miscellaneous Places, Monmouthshire
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ABERGAVENNY HUNDRED, in the northern part of Monmouthshire, is bounded on the N. by Herefordshire; on the E. by Skenfreth, Rayland, and Usk Hundreds; on the S. by Wentlooge Hundred; and on the W. by Wentlooge Hundred and the county of Brecknock. It is separated into the upper and lower divisions. The upper division, which comprises about 43,300 acres, includes the parishes of Aberystruth, Goytrey, Llanellan, Llanfoist, Llangattock-nigh-Usk, Mamhilad, Llanhileth, Llansaintfreed, Llanover, Llanvair-Kilgidin, Llanvihangel-nigh-Usk, Trevethan with Pontypool, and part of Abergavenny, and of Llanwenarth. The lower division, which contains 32,990 acres, includes the parishes of Llangattock-Llingoed, Llanthewy-Rhytherch, Llanthewy-Skirrid, Llantillio-Pertholey, Llanvapley, Llanvetherine, Oldcastle, with part of Aber of Cwmyoy, of Llanarth, of Llanvihangel-Crucorney, and of Llanwenarth."
"CALDICOTT HUNDRED, one of the 6 hundreds or subdivisions of the county of Monmouth, situated in the south-eastern part of the county, and bounded on the N. by the hundreds of Usk and Ragland; on the E. by Gloucestershire; on the S. by the Bristol Channel, and on the W. by the hundred of Wentllooge. It is in two divisions The upper division contains the parishes of Caerwent, Caldicott, Chepstow, Itton, Llanvair Discoed, Matherne, Mounton, Newchurch, Penterry, St. Pierre, Portscuett, and Shire-Newton, with part of St. Aryan's, and the extra-parochial district of Howick. This division extends over an area of 23,850 acres. The lower division contains the parishes of Bishton, St. Bride's Netherwent, Christchurch, Goldcliff, Ifton, Llangstone, Llanmartin, Llanvaches, Llanvihangel, Llanwern, Mager, Nash, Penhow, Roggiett, Undy, Wilerick, and Witston. This division comprises an area of about 28,700 acres."
"DENNY ISLAND, in the county of Monmouth, 2½ miles N. of Portishead Point. It is situated at the mouth of the river Severn."
"KYMIN, a hill on the river Wye, in county Monmouth, 2 miles E. of Monmouth. It commands a view over ten counties, and has a pavilion and naval temple."
"RAGLAND, a hundred in two divisions, upper and lower, county Monmouth. The former contains the parishes of Chapel Hill, Cwmcarvan, Kilgwrrwg, Llandogo, Llangoven, Llanishen, Llansoy, Llanvihangel-Tory-Mynydd, Mitchel-Troy, Penalth, Tintern-Parva, Trelleck, Wolves-Newton, with part of St. Arvan's, comprising an area of 26,170 acres; while the lower division contains the parishes of Bettws Newydd, Bryngwyn, Dingestow, Llandenny, Penrose, Peny-Clawdd, Ragland, Tregare, and parts of Llanarth and Llanvihangelystern-Llewern, comprising an area of 18,770 acres."
"SKENFRETH, a hundred in two divisions, county Monmouth. The upper contains the parishes of Grosmont, Llangua, Llantillio Crossenny, Skenfreth, and parts of Llanvihangel, comprising an area of 19,420 acres; and the lower division contains the town of Monmouth, and the parishes of Welsh Bicknor, Llangattock-Vibon-Avel, St. Maughan's, Rockfield, and Wonastow, comprising an area of 14,190, exclusive of Monmouth."
"SKIRRID FAWR and FACH, two lofty summits in the northern division of county Monmouth, about 2 miles N.E. of Abergavenny."
"THE USK, a river of South Wales, anciently called Isca, rises in a small lake on the northern side of the Bannan-Sir-Gaer, on the borders of counties Carmarthen and Brecon, and flowing through Brecon and Monmouthshire for 60 miles, receives the tributary streams of the Honddu, Tarrell, Grwyne, Olway, Afon Llwyd, and Ebwy, and falls into the sea a little below Newport. Its entrance is marked by a lighthouse on the western shore, put up in 1829, and visible for 10 miles. It is navigable to Tredunnock, and is celebrated for its salmon and trout."
"TROTHY, a stream of county Monmouth, rises at Blaen Trothy, and joins the Wye near Monmouth."
"USK, a hundred in two divisions, upper and lower, county Monmouth; the upper division contains the parishes of Gwernesney, Kemeys Commander and Inferior, Llangeview, Llangwm, Llanllowell, Llantrissent, Tredunnock, and Trostrey; the lower division contains the parishes of Llabadock, Llandegveth, Llangattock, Llangibby, Llanhennock, Llanthewy-Vach, Llanfihangel-Llantarnam, and Llanfihangel Ponte-y-Moile, Llanvrechva, Monkswood, Panteague, with the market towns of Caerleon and Usk, comprising together an area of 46,060 acres."
"WENTLLOOGE, a hundred in two divisions, lower and upper, county Monmouth. The former comprises the parishes of Bedwelty and Mynyddslwyn, with parts of Bassaleg, Bedwas, and Machen, containing 29,230 acres; and the latter the parishes of Bettws, St. Bride Wentllooge, Coedkernew, Henllis, Malpas, Marsfield, St. Mellons, Peterstone, Risca, Rumney, St. Woollos, and parts of Bassaleg and Michaelstone-le-Vedw, besides the borough of Newport, containing 26,930 acres."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]