Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Risca Parish; Statistics; Area 1877 acres; Population 1091 males, 953 females, total 2044
- The Church of an Ancient Chapelry "There are no legends to know when consecrated or licensed" Attendance - morning 49 + 15 scholars, evening 93 2 services in English David Davies, Incumbent
- Paran, Welsh Independents Erected 1843 Attendance - morning 85, afternoon 49 scholars, evening 91 Ll Griffiths, Deacon, Agent Chemical Works
- Soar, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1810 Attendance - morning 70, afternoon 54 scholars, evening 106 Thomas Evans, Minister, Walnut Tree House, Risca
- Moriah Chapel, Baptists Erected 1818, rebuilt 1836 Attendance - morning 247, afternoon 100 scholars, evening 415 "Be it observed that that all the services are conducted almost exclusively in the Welsh language" James Rowe, Minister, Risca
- Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Erected 1835 Attendance - morning 155 + 40 scholars, evening 250 + 69 scholars Samuel Bateman, Steward, Grocer, Risca