Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches established after 1851.
Shire-Newton Parish; Statistics; Area 3544 acres; Population 508 males, 425 females, total 933
- Shirenewton Parish Church Attendance - morning 78 + 37 scholars, afternoon 92 + 24 scholars 2 services in English Edward Inwood Jones, Rector
- Wesleyan Chapel Erected c 1825 Attendance - evening 70 Zechariah Jones, Steward
- Bible Christians, Mynydd Bach Erected 1850 Attendance - morning 8, afternoon 18, evening 11 James Penny, Steward
- Earlswood Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1799 Attendance - afternoon 80 John James, Steward
- Mount Zion, Gaerlwyd, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1842 Attendance - morning 37 scholars, afternoon 69 "A Day School held within the chapel commencing March 31 1851" Edward Jones, Member, Caerlwyd
- Fishers Place, Bible Christians "This is a cottage in which there has been Religious Service for the last 10 or 12 years" Attendance - evening 30 William Powell, Steward