Chwilgrug / Wilcrick
"WILLCRICK, a parish in the lower division of Caldicott hundred, county Monmouth, 6 miles E. of Newport. The village is situated on the road between Caerleon and Chepstow. The soil is chiefly clay. The living is a discharged rectory annexed to that of Llanmartin." [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants. Check with Gwent RO to see what extant records are held, and possible names of chapels/churches built after 1851.
Wilcrick Parish; Statistics; Area 406 acres; Population 13 males, 15 females, total 28
See the Monmouthshire county page for links to online records
- This list of parish records is intended as a rough guide to coverage only. Their location as stated should be confirmed with the appropriate Record Office prior to any visit.
[Details as published in The Parish Registers of Wales, NLW 1986 - present location/availability may vary]
Chwilgrug / Wilcrick, St Mary's Church - records with the Gwent RO Baptisms Marriages Burials 1814-1967 1814-1961 1824-1974 Bishops Transcripts 1725-41, 1743-54, 1756-75, 1777, 1779-95, 1797-1800, 1802-17, 1819-31, 1833-68, 1870-6 - records with the NLW
- Wilcrick - on wikipedia
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chwilgrug / Wilcrick to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Chwilgrug / Wilcrick has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Family Search have an interactive map called "England and Wales Jurisdictions 1851" showing parish (and other) boundaries with optional background maps such as Ordnance Survey. There is also a Search facility, do read the guidance notes to get maximum benefit from this useful resource. See here for further background information to assist in the interpretation of this data
- Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
- Plan of the parish of Wilcrick in the County of Monmouth - on the People's Collection Wales site
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST408880 (Lat/Lon: 51.587816, -2.855973), Chwilgrug / Wilcrick which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)