1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Amroth contained the following places:
"AMROTH, a parish in the hundred of Narberth, in the county of Pembroke, South Wales, 6 miles to the S.E. of Pembroke. It is pleasantly situated on the western side of the bay of Carmarthen. Very fine coal is obtained here, and shipped in large quantities to Bristol and other ports. Salmon, cod, and other fish are very abundant in this part of the bay. The collieries and fisheries furnish the chief occupation of the people. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £98, in the patronage of Charles P. Callen, Esq. The church is in the early English style with a square embattled tower, and is dedicated to St. Elidyr. There is a free school for boys and girls endowed by D. Rees, who left £20 a year to the parish, of which sum £5 is given away to relieve the poor, and the residue goes to support the school. There are two gentlemen's seats, Amroth Castle, near the coast, once the residence of a prince of Powys, afterwards the seat of the Elliotts, and named Eare Weare, now converted into an elegant modern Villa; and Colby Lodge, in a fine dell opening to the sea."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018