The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

In 1868, the parish of Angle contained the following places:

"ANGLE, (or Nangle), a parish in the hundred of Castlemartin, in the county of Pembroke, South Wales, 8 miles to the W. of Pembroke. It takes its name probably from its situation in an angle near the mouth of Milford Haven. The little bay named after the village affords safe anchorage for small vessels. There are some remains of an old building called the Block-house near the harbour, probably designed for a defence; but it is not known when or by whom it was erected. Good limestone is quarried, and the manufacture of straw plait is carried on by women. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £80, and a sinecure rectory value £157, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Angle Hall, situated near the church, is the principal residence, and the property of John Mirehouse, Esq., who is lord of the manor and proprietor of the whole parish.

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018