"BRAWDY, a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (E.) from St.David's, containing 768 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the turnpike road from Haverfordwest to St. David's, is, with the exception of a comparatively small portion, consisting of hills and moors, enclosed, and in a good state of cultivation. Jointly with the parish of Hayscastle, it constitutes the endowment of a prebend attached to the decanal stall in the cathedral church of St.David's, the deanery being annexed to the bishoprick. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Hayscastle annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £3.18. 9., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. David. There are two places of worship for Presbyterians, and one each for Independents and Methodists. It is related of the Rev. Mr. Wilcocks , the present respected vicar of this parish, that, prior to entering into holy orders, he paid two masters, during twelve years, out of his earnings by daily labour, to teach all the poor children of Brawdy and Hayscastle; and that the parishioners were so impressed with a sense of his meritorious conduct and love of learning, that he was ordained at their request. On Brawdy farm there is a râth, or British encampment, defended by a triple rampart. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £249.3." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464342
- 1851 Census - 0104237
- 1861 Census - 0543245
- 1871 Census - 0850857
- 1881 Census - 1342306
- 1891 Census - 6099648
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Brawdy with Hayscastle from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Trefgarn Independent Chapel, Brawdy on the People's Collection Wales site
Treffynnon Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Brawdy on the People's Collection Wales site
PR CB (1783-1812) M (1754-1812) recorded in 1831 apparently lost. M (1813-37) and B (1813-82) were missing in 1933 and are also apparently lost. For some entries c1784 see PR Tre-groes/Whitchurch. Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the registers went back to 1764
Parish registers: Christenings (1813-1915), Marriages (1837-1966), Banns (1935-60) and Burials (1882-1915) are at the Pembrokeshire Record Office.
Copy ts PR [extracts] C (1813-96) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1800, 1802, 1804-9, 1811-67, 1872-82, 1884-5, 1887-96) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105130.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
RAF Brawdy - on Wikipedia
The transcription of the section for Brawdy from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Brawdy to another place.
Jones, Francis. Rickeston and Scotsborough: a study in family history (NLW's site) Pemb Historian Vol II
You can see the administrative areas in which Brawdy has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Ffynondrudion, St Nicholas, Llethr, Brawdy and Cruglas, St David's, Records "Records relating mainly to three Pembrokeshire farms, 1765-1927, consisting of Ffynondrudion, St Nicholas, 1765-1927; Llethr, Brawdy 1787-1906; and Cruglas, St Davids, 1843-1913" "Llethr was a farm in the parish of Brawdy, Pembrokeshire, was held by the Thomas family from the late 18th century ....."
Held at the NLW ;
- Deeds and documents [purchased from Mrs E Jones, connected with the Jones family of Brawdy] mostly of Pembrokeshire interests, 1490-1866.
Jones, Francis Major Castle Villa - Cas Wilia The Pembrokeshire Historian vol 7 1981 Welsh Journals Online
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM852252 (Lat/Lon: 51.883556, -5.122075), Brawdy which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Brawdy parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
- Brawdy ; Asheston Ho, Berry Bush, Bramble, Brawdy, Bryn-Gwyn, Castle Villa, Cwm Bach, Dinas Fach, Eweston, Great Hook, Knaveston, Lochvane, Llethr, Maerdy, Newgale, Newgale Farm, Ogof y Cai, Pen-y-cwm, Pen-y-feidr, Pen-y-gors, Pointz Castle, Pont yr Hen ffordd, Porth Mynawyd, Pwll March, Rhyd y gele, Rickeston, Tancredston, Tre Gynnydd, Trefgarn-Owen, Troed y rhiw