The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BURTON, a parish in the hundred of Roose, in the county of Pembroke, South Wales, 3 miles to the N. of Pembroke. Haverford West is its post town. It is pleasantly situated on the N. bank of Milford Haven, and contains the village of Houghton. Within the parish are the remains of Benton Castle, which stand in a striking situation by the haven, and command a beautiful prospect. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. David's, worth £202, in the patronage of the Earl of Cawdor. There are chapels belonging to the Wesleyans and Baptists. The charitable endowments amount to £8 a year. Near the village is the ferry across the haven."
"HOUGHTON, a village in the parish of Burton, county Pembroke, 4 miles N. of Pembroke. It is situated near Milford Haven."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018