"CAREW, a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (E. by N.) from Pembroke, on the road from Narberth, containing 1020 inhabitants. . . [Carew Castle] ruins are extensive, and may be regarded as among the most interesting and beautiful in the principality . . . From the towers, to the summits of which an ascent is afforded by staircases in a dilapidated condition, an extensive and pleasing prospect is obtained of the haven, on one side, and of the surrounding country on the other, which abounds with interesting scenery, enlivened by numerous seats in the vicinity. . . The parish contains a vast quantity of excellent limestone, which is conveyed in small craft of twelve or fifteen tons' burden to the upper parts of this county and of Cardiganshire. Coal of inferior quality is procured on the north side of the parish, but only for the supply of the immediate neighbourhood. . . . The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a spacious and venerable structure, in the early style of English architecture . . .. In the churchyard is an ancient building, apparently coeval with the church, which is occasionally used as a parochial school, the master being appointed by the vicar. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464344
- 1851 Census - 0104233
- 1861 Census - 0543242
- 1871 Census - 0850852
- 1881 Census - 1342303
- 1891 Census - 6099637
|St Mary's School House; Charnel House; Carew Mortuary Chapel, Carew (Church in Wales)|
|St Mary, Carew (Church in Wales)|
|Zoar (Zion?) Independent Chapel, Carew|
|Mountain Chapel, Carew|
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from the Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
St Mary's Church, Carew and St Mary's Church School House on the People's Collection Wales site
Zoar Congregational Chapel, Carew Newton on the People's Collection Wales site
Carew Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on the People's Collection Wales site
Parish registers: Christenings (1718-1951), Marriages (1718-1971), Banns (1811-1932) and Burials (1718-1966) are at the Pembrokeshire Record Office.
Copy ts PR/BT (1779-1819) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685-6, 1799-1801, 1803-68, 1870-9, 1884-9, 1896-9, 1901-5) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105132.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Carew to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Carew has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Papers of the Carew family of Carew Castle, Pembrokeshire, and Crowcombe, Somerset "Family papers, 1571-1822, and estate records, 1450-1926, relating to the Carew family of Carew Castle and Crowcombe Court, Somerset. The estate records relate to estates in Pembrokeshire, 1610-1926............................"
There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..
Spurrell, W.G. The history of Carew, Pembrokeshire, Carmarthen, W. Spurrell & son (1921) 135 p.
Lane, H A The Parish of Carew, 1838 The Pembrokeshire Historian vol 4 1972 Welsh Journals Online
Cole, Richard. Carew Newton and Houghton Farm - A Study in South Pembrokeshire Settlement Patterns. Pp27-52 in Carew Castle Archaeoligical Project 1993 Season Interim Report (ed. by David Austin)
Pike, Jonathan. The Case of Carew versus Phillips. Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 5/6 April 1996. Extracts from Trollope-Bellew papers at Somerset RO, the claims made against the estate of George Carew, by the Philipps family in 1689 and 1709.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN053036 (Lat/Lon: 51.69761, -4.819093), Carew which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Carew parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Carew (144); Cardeeth, Carew, Carew Beacon, Carew Cheriton, Carew Meadows, Carew Mountain, Carew Newton, Coachyland, Crickchurch, Folly, Ford Fm., Freestone Hall, Furze Hill, Hays, Landigwinnen, Milton, Newpark Fm., New Shipping, Park, Pincheston, Pisgah, Poyerston, Radford, Sageston, Sageston Mountain, Stephen's Green, Summerton, Whitehill, Welston, West Williamston.