1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
In 1868, the parish of Castlemartin contained the following places:
"CASTLEMARTIN, a parish in the hundred of the same name, in the county of Pembroke, South Wales, 6 miles to the W. of Pembroke, its post town. It is situated in a fertile and, cultivated district on the sea-coast, not far from Milford Haven, and had anciently a castle. Good limestone is abundant here. The coast is bold and rocky. There is a hardy breed of cattle, which take their name from this place. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of St. David's, value £315, in the patronage of Earl Cawdor. The church, which is very old, is dedicated to St. Michael. In the neighbourhood are remains of old forts and earthworks. Brownslade is the principal seat."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018