"COSHESTON, a parish in the hundred of CASTLE-MARTIN, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 2 Miles (N.) from Pembroke, containing 678 inhabitants. The village is beautifully situated on the southern declivity of a hill, the base of which is washed by an estuary of Milford Haven, navigable for barges. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £11.12.11., and in the patronage of Sir John Owen, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a low tower surmounted by a spire. The poor children of this parish are admissible into the National school at Pembroke. John Jones, Esq., M.D., in 1698, bequeathed certain property for apprenticing poor children, and the relief of the aged and infirm, of the four parishes of Lawrenny, Cosheston, St.David's, and Lampeter-Velvrey, with a discretionary power to his brother, the Rev. Mr. Jones, as executor, to add other parishes: of the produce of this charity, Cosheston receives a sum amounting to about £30 per annum, which is appropriated agreeably to the directions of the testator. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £137. 15." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464342
- 1851 Census - 0104233
- 1861 Census - 0543242
- 1871 Census - 0850852
- 1881 Census - 1342303
- 1891 Census - 6099637
|Nebo Independent Chapel, Mount Pleasant, Cosheston|
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from the Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
Cosheston Church on the People's Collection Wales site
Parish registers: Christenings (1723-42, 1752-1944), Marriages (1723-40, 1752-1970) Banns (1755-99, 1882-1967), Burials (1723-42, 1752-1891) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1886) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105138.
Copy ts PR/BT C (1723-1825) M (1723-1812) B (1723-1812) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR M pre 1813 with index at NLW and Pem.RO
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The transcription of the section for Cosheston from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cosheston to another place.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Howell family, of Cosheston, Pembrokeshire, and Florence Howell papers "Papers of the Howell family, 1830-1957, including timber business records, 1874-1933; agricultural records, 1910-1919; records of shares, 1932-1956; .................................."
You can see the administrative areas in which Cosheston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..
Hughes, Basil Jottings on the History of Pembrokeshire Cosheston, Upton, Nash [Kindle Edition 2013]
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN008046 (Lat/Lon: 51.704772, -4.884925), Cosheston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Cosheston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Cosheston (146); Bateman's Hill, Cosheston, Cosheston Pt., Ferny Pits, Hakin Point, Jenkin Point, Lanehead, Mayeston, Mill Bay, Mount Pleasant, Paskeston, Whalecombe.