In 1868, the parish of Fishguard contained the following places:
"FISHGUARD, a parish and market town in the hundred of Kemess, county Pembroke, South Wales, 7 miles W. of Newport, 22 N. of Pembroke, and 257 from London. It is situated on the northern coast of the county, at the estuary of the river Gwayne. The town stands on the cliffs facing the Irish Channel, and is much resorted to for sea-bathing. A bridge of five arches crosses the river here, thus uniting the two parts of the town, which are called respectively the Upper and Lower. Slate of good quality is obtained in the neighbourhood, and the flannel manufacture is carried on. A large proportion of the people are engaged in the fisheries, and on the coasting vessels, of which there are about fifty belonging to the port. The bay is spacious, and affords safe anchorage. Fishguard is a subport to Cardigan, and with Haverfordwest and Narberth enjoys the elective franchise. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's, value £111, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is a small neat edifice, dedicated to St. Mary. The Independents, Baptists, and Calvinistic Methodists have each a chapel. In 1797 a body of 1,400 French landed here, and were made prisoners by Earl Cawdor. Various remains of the Roman period and earlier times have been discovered. Thursday is the market day. Fairs are held on the 5th February, Easter and Whit Mondays, 23rd July, 8th and 9th October, and 17th and 18th November."