"GRANSTON, a parish in the hundred of DEWIS-LAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (W.S.W.) from Fishguard, containing 195 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the north-western part of the county, and within a short distance of the coast of St. George's channel: it is intersected by the turnpike road leading from Fishguard to St.David's, and is watered by a small stream, which, after flowing through it, falls into the sea near Aberbâch. The surrounding scenery is not distinguished by any peculiarity of feature, though from the higher grounds some good views are obtained over the channel and the adjacent country. Tregwynt, the ancient mansion of the family of Harries, a branch of that seated at Priskilly, is within this parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to that of Mathrey, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £6. 8. 11 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, is a plain edifice, not claiming notice for any peculiarity of architecture: it contains several good mural tablets, erected to the memory of some members of the Priskilly family, of whom several were interred here. There is a large place of worship for Baptists. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £67. 10." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464342
- 1851 Census - 0104237
- 1861 Census - 0543245
- 1871 Census - 0850857
- 1881 Census - 1342306
- 1891 Census - 6099648
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Grandston and St Nicholas from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Llangloffan chapel (Bapt), Granston on the People's Collection Wales site
Diocesan records suggest that c1790 the registers went back to 1727
Parish registers: Christenings (1793-1990), Marriages (1778-1970) Banns (1778-1814, 1828-1908), Burials (1793-1805, 1813-1991) at Pem.RO
Copy ms PR C (1785-1811) M (1778-1813) B (1784-1813) and ts PR [extracts] CB (1785-1902) M (1778-1817) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1843, 1846, 1865-7) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105141.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
- Llangloffan, near Castle Morris [Baptists, 1706]. Records ; 1. Church book, 1745-87, at NLW Ms 1152, and has been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 829076. 2. Account books, 1785-1806 at NLW Ms 11527 3. See Rhydwilym/Llandyslio for the period prior to 1745. SM90563237 Built 1706, restored 1749 and 1791, rebuilt as present church 1862 Still open 1998 Coflein On Dyfed FHS
Burials in the Parish of Granston in the county of Pembroke in the Year 1859 ( photographs of pages 18/19 of actual registry page) on the People's Collection Wales site
The transcription of the section for Granston from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Granston to another place.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Harries Family of Priskilly, Heathfield and Tregwynt Papers 1722-1920 "John Hill Harries held an estate at Priskelly, Mathry, Pembrokeshire, in 1815. .................... The Harries family built Heathfield, Letterston, Pembrokeshire, at the beginning of the 19th century. .......................... In 1877, the Harries family moved to the Tregwynt estate, in the parishes of Granston and Mathry, Pembrokeshire."
- J. H. Harries Archives 1661-1932 "Deeds relating to the estates of the Harries family in Granston, Mathyr and Letterston, Pembrokeshire........................"
You can see the administrative areas in which Granston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Sayer, Ann. Tregwynt and the Harries family (NLW's site) Pemb Historian X
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM898341 (Lat/Lon: 51.96526, -5.06105), Granston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Granston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
- Granston ; Granston, Llangloffan, Llangloffan Cross, Submarine Tel Office, The Warren, Tre gwynt, Treopert, Tre-Seissyllt,