"HARROLDSTON (WEST), a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 51/2 miles (W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 155 inhabitants. This place, distinguished by its adjunct from Harroldston East, or St. Issels, like it derives its name from an ancient Anglo-Norman proprietor, who, as well as his successors, was lord paramount over several manors in this part of the principality: the residence of these lords was at this place, which, from the foundations of ancient buildings still remaining, appears to have been formerly of much greater extent than at present. The parish is finely situated on the eastern shore of St. Bride's bay, in St. George's channel, and comprises a considerable tract of arable and pasture land, which is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The surrounding scenery is richly diversified, and the views from the higher grounds embrace extensive prospects over the channel and the adjacent country, which abounds with picturesque beauty. The parish rates are collected by the ploughland. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Pembroke College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Madoc, is not distinguished by any architectural details of importance. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £47.18." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464345
- 1851 Census - 0104236
- 1861 Census - 0543244
- 1871 Census - 0850857
- 1881 Census - 1342305
- 1891 Census - 6099647
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Haroldston West with Lambston from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1748-1991), Marriages (1751-86, 1813-1959), Burials (1750-1992) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1800-1, 1803-18, 1820-46, 1849) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS - Call Number: 0105142.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
The transcription of the section for Haroldston West from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Haroldston West to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Haroldston West has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Philpin collection of Haroldston papers "Papers, 1842-1932, deposited by Mrs Philpin, including deeds relating to land in Haroldston West, Pembrokeshire, 1842-1843; and papers of William J. Canton, 1924-1932"
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM880153 (Lat/Lon: 51.796007, -5.076284), Haroldston West which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Haroldston West parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Haroldston West (93); Belmont, Black Point, Castle High, Haroldston Chins, Haroldston West, Lamber, Rosehill, Settling Nose, Sleek Stone.