Haverfordwest St Thomas
"The town and county of the town comprise the whole of the parish of St. Mary, and part of the parishes of St. Thomas and St. Martin, together with a very small part of the parish of Prendergast, and a large extra-parochial area called "Poor-field;" the parishes of St. Thomas and St. Martin also comprise divisions respectively called the hamlets of St. Thomas and St. Martin, which are within the hundred of Rhôs . . . The living of St. Thomas' is a rectory not in charge, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church is situated on the summit of a hill, and in the centre of an extensive cemetery, overlooking the ruins of the priory: according to some records preserved at St. David's, it appears to have been built in the year 1225; but these most probably refer to the ancient church of the priory, which was also dedicated to St. Thomas, for there is nothing in the style of architecture which corroborates that testimony: it is a plain building, with a square tower crowned with a projecting battlement . . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464345
- 1851 Census - 0104236
- 1861 Census - 0543244
- 1871 Census - 0850856
- 1881 Census - 1342305
- 1891 Census - 6099646/7
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1714-1962), Marriages (1714-1952), Burials (1710-1901) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR [extracts] C (1716-1907) M (1713-1892) B (1712-1879) at NLW and Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1813-18, 1823, 1825-73) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105143.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Haverfordwest St Thomas to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Haverfordwest St Thomas has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Home Guard Parade through St Thomas Green', Haverfordwest 1939-45 - on the People's Collection Wales site
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM930142 (Lat/Lon: 51.787991, -5.002599), Haverfordwest St Thomas which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Haverfordwest St Thomas parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Haverfordwest St Thomas (88A); Albert Town, Priory (ancient remains).
- Hamlet of St Thomas (88B); Dredgman Hill, Merlin's Brook.
- Furzy Park & Portfield (163); Enfield, Portfield Gate, Scarrowscant, South Cuckoo.
Shown separately on the Cd, possibly extra parochial but shown as part of St Thomas's parish on the Dyfed FHS parish map.