"HERBRANDSTON, a parish in the hundred of RHÔS, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (W.N.W.) from Milford, containing 221 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from one of the Norman or Flemish settlers in Pembrokeshire, named Herbrand, who, soon after the Conquest, fixed his residence at this place. It is situated on the eastern side of a small bay in Milford Haven, and is only of small extent; but the land is very fertile, and in a high state of cultivation. A fair is held annually in the village on the 12th of August, chiefly for hiring farm servants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St.David's, rated in the king's books at £7. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the King, as Prince of Wales. The church, dedicated to St.Mary, is a plain ancient structure, with a low massive tower. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £116. 19." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464345
- 1851 Census - 0104235
- 1861 Census - 0543243
- 1871 Census - 0850855
- 1881 Census - 1342304
- 1891 Census - 6099644
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1717-20, 1729-1908), Marriages (1729-1970) Banns (1813-52), Burials (1717-20, 1729-1992) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1804, 1806-63, 1865-70) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105145.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Dyfed FHS have published a series of indexes of baptisms, marriages and burials from Pembrokeshire hundreds for various periods.
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Various landscape/seascape photographs of the parish surrounds on the People's Collection Wales site
The transcription of the section for Herbrandston from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Herbrandston to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Herbrandston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
There are historical snippets about this parish on Not everyone knows this..
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM870072 (Lat/Lon: 51.722905, -5.084825), Herbrandston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Herbrandston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Herbrandston (101); Herbrandston, Killroom, Neeston, South Hook Fm., South Hook Point.