"JORDANSTON, a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (S.W.) from Fishguard, containing 157 inhabitants. It appears to have derived its name from an ancient family estate within its limits, and is pleasantly situated in the north-western part of the county, being intersected by a stream which falls into the river Hog. The surrounding scenery is agreeably diversified, and the views of the adjacent country comprehend a pleasing variety of interesting features. In the immediate vicinity are some handsome seats, of which the principal within the parish are, Jordanston, the ancient family mansion of the Vaughans, agreeably situated in a retired part of the country, and comprehending much pleasing scenery; and Llangwaren, an ancient residence, the property of C. Matthias, Esq., now of Lamphey Court, which, with the extensive and well-cultivated farm attached to it, is at present in the occupation of I.M. Phelps, Esq. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £6.3.9., endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of G.G. Vaughan, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Cwrda, is a small neat edifice, appropriately fitted up for the performance of divine service, but not distinguished by any interesting architectural details. Here are some remains of a circular encampment, which is generally ascribed to the Danes, but its origin and history are alike unknown. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £89." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464342
- 1851 Census - 0104238
- 1861 Census - 0543245
- 1871 Census - 0850858
- 1881 Census - 1342306
- 1891 Census - 6099650
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
Parish registers: Christenings (1802-13), Marriages (1803-51) Banns (1812-96), Burials (1802-13) at NLW with Mf copies at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR [extracts] C (1811-39) M (1834-9) B (1808-97) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1799-1800, 1802-10, 1812-21, 1823-37, 1839-40, 1843-7, 1857-8, 1866) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105146.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Jones, Francis Jordanstan in Dewisland The Pembrokeshire Historian vol 5 1974 Welsh Journals Online
The transcription of the section for Jordanston from The National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Jordanston to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Jordanston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Papers of Lady Hamilton's Trustees "Jordanston and Dolgwm Estate rentals, 1852-1891; trustees accounts, 1892-1903; and deeds, 1763-1942."
- Records of the Mathias family of Llangwarren and Lamphey Court 1697-1967 "The Mathias family had resided in Llangwarren, Jordanston, Pembrokeshire, since the 16th century..........."
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SM924335 (Lat/Lon: 51.961238, -5.022426), Jordanston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Jordanston parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Peter D Hall)
- Jordanston (36); Castell Hendre-wen, Hendre-fach, Hendre-ganol, Hendre-wen, Jordanston, Llangwarren, Pant-y-coch, Penmeiddyn, Rhos-y-clegyrn, Tre-coed