"LAWRENNY (LAWRENNEY), a parish in the hundred of NARBERTH, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Pembroke, containing 422 inhabitants. This parish is situated on a branch of Milford Haven, over which it has a ferry, and comprises a large portion of enclosed and well cultivated land. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly diversified, and in some parts enriched with noble plantations. . . Limestone, both for building and to be burned for manure, abounds in this parish and the quarrying and burning of it affords employment to a portion of the inhabitants, a great number of whom are also engaged, during the winter season, in dredging for oysters, which are found here in great abundance, and conveyed principally to the London market, in boats from Chatham and Rochester, for the loading of which the coast affords every facility. . . The church dedicated to St.Caradoc, is a venerable cruciform structure, in the early style of English architecture, with an elegant square embattled tower, which is seen to great advantage from almost every side, rising above the rich foliage by which the body is concealed. . . There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
The 1851 census for this parish has been indexed by Dyfed Family History Society.
Census Returns for this parish have the following LDS Call Numbers:
- 1841 Census - 0464344
- 1851 Census - 0104233
- 1861 Census - 0543242
- 1871 Census - 0850852
- 1881 Census - 1342303
- 1891 Census - 6099637
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry for Martlewy with Lawrenny and Minwear from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by Archive CD Books).
Parish registers: Christenings (1708-1895), Marriages (1717-1970) Banns (1824-1919), Burials (1717-1812) at Pem.RO
Copy ts PR (1716-1837) at Pem.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1685, 1800, 1808-9, 1811-16, 1818-37, 1839-60, 1862-4, 1866-9, 1871,1873-5) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Call Number: 0105149.
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Nonconformist Chapels: None found
Lawrenny Castle by C S Allen c1880 - on the People's Collection Wales site
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lawrenny to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Lawrenny has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Morgan Richardson, solicitors, [Cardigan] collection Including " ..................papers of the following major clients: Lort-Phillips of Lawrenny, Pembrokeshire, 1560-1925;........."
- Larenny estate records "Rentals and accounts of the Lawrenny, Nash, Rhosmarket and other estates belonging to the Lort-Phillips family, 1851-1911; correspondence of A. J. Cromar, estate agent, 1902-1912; and plans of Lawrenny Castle by Henry Ashton, architect, 1851-1898"
- Lowless and Lowless, solicitors, of Shaftesbury House, Pembroke and Pembroke Dock, Records Including " ......... Lawrenny Estate papers, 1858-[c. 1948........................."
Held at the NLW ;
- Records from the offices of Morgan Richardson, solicitors, Cardigan, C16-C20, with family papers of Thomas Morgan, solicitor, C19. Estates include those of Phillips of Haverfordwest, Lort and Lort-Phillips of Lawrenny, co Pembroke................................................ Vaughan and Millingchamp of Plas Llangoedmor, Cardiganshire; Pigeonsford and Brynog, Cardiganshire; Posty, Pembrokeshire.
Parish map (Kain/Oliver)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN035078 (Lat/Lon: 51.734229, -4.846602), Lawrenny which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Places, villages, farms etc within Lawrenny parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Barry Johnson)
- Lawrenny (132); Deals Cross Road, Foxenhole Lake, Garron, Knowles Fm., Lawrenny, Lawrenny Newton, Limpin Lake, Moithan Moor, Oak Hill, Pencoed, Tanyard Mountain, Tedion Mountain, Vallen.